Help, Please! Injured and Pecked Polish Rooster! (Edit- Graphic-ish Pictures)

My rooster is doing much better! I went back to school, but before I did, we moved him out into the 'chicken jail' in the coop. He can see his girls, and they can see him, but no contact is allowed until his head fully heals. He finally started eating again, but he's veeerry picky on what he eats- yogurt, (unsweetened) applesauce, and oatmeal are all he cares to eat now. That's better than nothing, I suppose... He has a lot of weight-gaining to do.

His head is one big scab now- not pretty, but we keep it covered in neosporin, as well as washing it with a little iodine- Hopefully, the scab won't get ripped off. As for the BR hens, I still have them, and will probably keep them, but if I can scrounge up separate accomodations, I will. Since I have mostly bantams, I don't let them free range unless supervised. They stay in our hoop house. But since the BR are big girls, perhaps they would do better with more free-range time.

Although, I do have a neighbor who's been taking care of a stray rooster.If they decided to keep that rooster, maybe they'd like some hens for him!

So glad he is doing so good.. hope that continues... Sounds like it would be great to re home the girls if possible... My white silkie girl who had her head pecked real bad is in full bloom now but I am not ready to put her back with the others and may never just separate the coop so she can have a bigger space.. good work with your Roo... thanks for letting us know.. Kristin

Sad news everyone- I went home this weekend, and my roo died Saturday night. I suppose it was a doubt-it-but-I-hope situation...I doubted that he would live since I found him huddled in the coop, but I really hoped he would pull through.

He was doing okay all last week, but he must have died on Saturday night, because we found him in 'Chicken jail" Sunday morning. I guess his head must have been too damaged, or he couldn't eat enough to keep his energy up. It really hasn't been a great year for my animals.

So, here's in honor of Tyrone- the nicest rooster I had ever owned. He was my first hatch, too- I was there to watch him pip, zip, and push his way out of his shell. He treated his Brahma ladies well, and never once got into a fight with the other rooters. He was indeed full of zest and personality, and I'm glad he tried his best to pull through.

From fluffy chick, to gawky, gender-changing pre-teen, to a handsome cockerel! Here's to you, Tyrone!

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I came by this thread because my polish crested was part of a package deal for new adult hens. This rooster is CRAZY. He is also missing most of his feathers and the hens aren't helping, but he hasn't been harmed like your poor guy was. Lately, he has become more aggressive toward me.

I am not sure what changed or maybe he is starting to get comfy in his surroundings and is trying to throw his weight around. Anyhow, his head looks a little like cottage cheese and he runs into EVERYTHING. I seriously think there is something wrong with this polish crested.

Teflon or non stick coatings on pans, cooking pots, etc, if heated on high they do give off toxic fumes and will kill both chickens and tropical birds. Never take the chance, get rid of your non stick coated cookware. I use cast iron or stainless steel cookware only.

Back
Top Bottom