Help, please! Muscovy egg now a baby duckling-he is wet, what to do now???

Should he be sleeping so much? He takes very small tastes of the ND water (which has mash in it) when David puts his little beak into it, but cuddles into David's hand and sleeps most of the time. When he is in the box, he still lays on his back or side, but in the hand, he spreads his little feet out almost properly.

Anything else we can do?

All you can do now is wait and give him some time. as far as sleeping I'd say sleeping is important. mama cuddles hers under her from time to time when they are out and about for warmth and rest. Plus he has been through an ordeal so he needs his rest. so when you put him in his box with his feet down first he immediately goes to his side or back? he won't stand up? He is using David as his mama, he would be cuddling under her to keep warm and feel secure.

No, he still has not stood up. When David puts him in the box, he either rolls on his side or on his back. I held him while David was busy a bit ago, and I think his little neck is really bent sort of sideways-like he is looking back at his own tailfeathers. I tried to get him to straighten out, but I didn't want to hurt him. As I would gently sort of make him straight in mt hand, he would curve back around-just from the neck and head, until he is facing the rear. If this makes any sense to you....

Um, not to be gross, but he is pooping, if that is a good sign.

He is still talkative, and wiggly, whether in the box or in my hand. he is wiggly in David's hand, also.

No, he still has not stood up. When David puts him in the box, he either rolls on his side or on his back. I held him while David was busy a bit ago, and I think his little neck is really bent sort of sideways-like he is looking back at his own tailfeathers. I tried to get him to straighten out, but I didn't want to hurt him. As I would gently sort of make him straight in mt hand, he would curve back around-just from the neck and head, until he is facing the rear. If this makes any sense to you....

Um, not to be gross, but he is pooping, if that is a good sign.

He is still talkative, and wiggly, whether in the box or in my hand. he is wiggly in David's hand, also.

Have you looked up wry neck? thats what it sounds like to me. and hopefully the ND will help him recover from it. I am happy to hear he is wiggly and pooping lol all good signs. Let me know how his night goes and how he is in the morning please.
fl.gif
Hope ya'll are getting some rest. This is like having a new baby.

We are dealing with a "wry neck" ourselves. She gets around ok, swims funny (in a circle) and sometimes flips on her back and needs help getting up. We are putting some sort of vitamin/electolyte powder we got from tractor supply in their water...hoping it helps

The little guy survived the night, but he won't eat or drink much this morning, and he won't take the ND from David this morning. I read a bit about wry neck last night, and am looking it up again now. He still has not stood, and just still stays on his back or his side-more on his back than side.
In reading, his little symptoms sound a lot like "Encephalomalacia", as decribed in an article by this person/article:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

But I am still very confused-the more I read the less I understand!!!! It appers that ducks don't develop/have this condition from birth-it seems to appear suddenly. This guy has NEVER been able to stand, and his neck ALWAYS flopped to one side-but now it appears it is staying bent. He cannot eat or drink without David holding him and dipping his little beak in the water or food.
I don't know if we are going to try to take him to work with us today or not-there IS a cat at work-but we cannot leave him any food or water, since he can't eat or drink on his own!!

Thanks so much for all the help and encouragement-will post his progress as we can. I will try to get online at work today, if possible, with updates (if we take him, that is).

Sybil and Daddy Duck David

I'm sorry to hear the lil one doesn't want to eat or drink this morning. It doesn't look good for him if he doesn't.
sad.png
Sometimes it's just not meant to be no matter what we do. Bless you both and still hoping an praying for a miracle.

We have him here at work, and David has gotten a bit of ND water in him-no food yet, though. We aren't ready to give up yet! thanks for hanging in there with us, too!

Will keep you posted.

So it is almost 3:00pm here, and he is still hanging in there. David got him to take a bit more water with the Nutri Drench in it, since he refuses it straight. he still is not eating, though, and his little eyes haven't opened in awhile-several hours-but he is peeping and wiggling and kicking. I want so badly for the little guy to make it.......

Any and all suggestions gladly accepted!

We are dealing with a "wry neck" ourselves. She gets around ok, swims funny (in a circle) and sometimes flips on her back and needs help getting up. We are putting some sort of vitamin/electolyte powder we got from tractor supply in their water...hoping it helps

I sure hope your little guy gets better, PetesMom! Prayers and warm loving thoughts your way!!

Sybil

Back
Top Bottom