Help, please! Muscovy egg now a baby duckling-he is wet, what to do now???

Is he the duck version of a preemie baby?

Possibly, and you know mama left him and he would have died if ya'll hadn't found him, now your doing everything in your power to help him, Just be ready if it doesn't go the way we all want it too, but I still believe he should have every chance. Since she had so many she probably had to take them out to find food and water and you know in the wild the strongest survive. So now you have this little one trying with all it's might to make it and lets hope and pray it does. The only thing I know left to do is try the Vitamins. can he hold his head straight? or is it tiled to one side or looking up? because Nutrient deff. in chicks and ducklings can cause a condition called wry neck or star gazing. and can be corrected if treated early. The Nutri Drench would probably be your best bet right now. Be safe, I understand the storms have been awful out there.

Last edited:
Yes, his head tilts to the right. What do we need to get? We will leave to go to TSC as soon as we know what we need to get.

Thank you so much-again-this little guy is such a scrapper, and we DO hope and pray he makes it! david calls him "something" now-says it is something he has made it this far.....

OK, we are off for Nutra Drench....will let you know what happens.

BTW, he is happiest now when David cups him in his hands! He snuggles in like a child!
I think we may have a heck of a problem tsaking him to work with us!!

OK, we are off for Nutra Drench....will let you know what happens.

BTW, he is happiest now when David cups him in his hands! He snuggles in like a child!
I think we may have a heck of a problem tsaking him to work with us!!

praying with you both, aww daddy duck so sweet. you'll have to post pics soon. since he's so small just smuggle him in no one will know.
wink.png

We are back with Nutri Drench and Dumor starter Which is what the lady at TSC said to feed him-but we are a wee bit nervous, since she didn't know what wry neck was.
A couple of drops straight now, right?
then some in his water?
how much?

Someone mentioned brewers yeast-where to get that, please?

Thanks so much-your prayers are needed-and appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! He is nibbling the starter and drinking water with the Nutri Drench in it!!!
He loves it!
He also appears to be happy when David holds him-even when Daddy Duck made him drink straight Nutri Drench!!! He honestly seems BETTER that fast!!

Please tell us we are not imagining this...

OK, photos!

the above photo is to try to show you his little feet

Proud Daddy Duck

Another of the little guy

OK, photos!

the above photo is to try to show you his little feet

Proud Daddy Duck

Another of the little guy

You may not be imagining it. The stuff is awesome. and the pics are too. his foot hopefully will straighten out with some help. He is adorable... and seems very content. wry neck is a vitamin deff. so keep on with the nutri drench again tonight straight and in his water directions on the bottle. When he tries to stand up does his head go to the floor? I'm thinking wry neck. or something like it. then tomorrow straight in the morning and again in the eve. when you start to see a significant improvement cut it back to once a day straight and still in his water. some have said it can cause loose poop but i have never noticed it, if you do then just cut it some with water. so glad to hear his appetite is so good. that will help him with strength. Tomorrow maybe your biggest hurdle getting him set up where he can get to his water and food. now you have to be careful because if he gets to his water and say puts his head in but can't get out he can drown. so you have your job cut out for you getting this worked out. And he has to have water to eat his food. and boy is he going to miss you both but especially dad. do you have a mirror of some kind that would be safe to put with him and a stuffed animal to cuddle with? as for Brewers yeast I had to buy mine at the natural food store, but I'd give him a couple days on the nutri drench before adding anything else. The ND has niacin in it.

Yes, he goes head first. The neck is not twisty or crooked, just acts as if his head is too heavy for him.

David just gave him a wee bit more food, and he took a small drink of the water with the ND in it.

All kidding aside, should we take him to work with us tomorrow? And I mean in a box, or in a towel/sling? Or will a stuffed teddy work as well, at home? Do we leave water and food in the box for him if we do not take him to work? I am afraid of him drowning, after reading some sites as well as hearing it from you. Is the mirror to make him think he has a friend?
He really is not very active, other than laying on his back or side and kicking a lot.

Thank you so much-you have been a rock!!

Should he be sleeping so much? He takes very small tastes of the ND water (which has mash in it) when David puts his little beak into it, but cuddles into David's hand and sleeps most of the time. When he is in the box, he still lays on his back or side, but in the hand, he spreads his little feet out almost properly.

Anything else we can do?

Back
Top Bottom