HELP please! My buff orpington is sick AGAIN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sofi, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Sofi

Sofi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Hi everybody!

About a week ago, my buff orpington pullet (about 4/4.5 months) had diarrhea, was lethargic and not eating. I put her on CORID and SafeGuard and she got better in about 3 days. I kept giving her (and the rest of the flock) CORID for 5 days. Then I started them on vitamins/electrolytes. Everything seemed fine!

Yesterday, I noticed the same chicken had a wet vent. I checked her and the vent seems fine, other than wet. No redness, no prolapse, nothing. She was happy scratching around, so I decided to wait and see what happened today.

Today she is puffed up, eyes closed, lethargic and still with diarrhea/wet vent. I'm at a loss... What should I do??

My coop is kept spotless, I clean it every day, change their water every day, they get fresh food every day.

My hen also seems to be a little skinnier, but that I can't tell for sure...

I hope ya'll can help!! Thanks in advance...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a vet who will exam a stool sample for you? It's strange that she improved for awhile then went down hill again. How many days since the Corid was stopped? It's possible that she didn't have cocci or that the strain was resistant to Corid. Did you ever see blood in the stool? Necrotic enteritis can also cause some of her symptoms. Is she having any dark brown diarrhea? Is she eating if you give her scrambled eggs? Have you checked her for being egg bound--place a lubricated gloved finger into the vent. Here is some info for you: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

3. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Corid stopped two days ago.

I haven't seen blood, but I've seen dark brown (smelly) stools. Yesterday stools (the ones I seen at least) were light brown and uniform too. Very soft but not really watery.

She won't eat scrambled eggs.

I did check her for a stuck egg the first time around, and she was OK.

I'm going to try to find a vet that can take a look at the stool sample..

She's the only one of the flock affected... I have 6 hens.

Thanks.

4. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Could it be another parasite resistant to safeguard/corid?

What else can I use?

Thanks!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try sulfadimethoxine soluable powder. Dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 6 days. If she's not drinking, use an eyedropper to administer it orally, 1/2cc at a time about 6 times a day. Be careful that she doesnt aspirate.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

7. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    This are two I found this morning..

Last night I saw some dark brown with urates.

Should I put her back on CORID? That did help the first time, maybe she should have been treated for longer than 5 days?

I also have Wazine 17. Is that safe to use on her? How long do I need to discard eggs after using this?

Thanks..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    She also drank a LOT of water last night... She ate some soaked feed, but not a lot. She eats if I put her in front of the food (top pic). I have to grab her, and put her right in front of the bowl. Otherwise, she jumps on the nest and lays there with her butt up. Like in the bottom picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sofi

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    If she has necrotic enteritis, can I treat with Duramycin-10?? I have some at home

Sorry for all the questions :(

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't apologize for asking questions. That's what the forum is for. What I am seeing is that most sources recommend penicillin, amoxicillin, or lincomycin. Bacitracin in the feed can be used also. Chlortetracycline has been used, but I can't find anything about Duramycin (tetracycline)--there may be resistance built up to it. Here is a link: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...verview_of_necrotic_enteritis_in_poultry.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by