Help Please... New Coop and New Chicks.. How do I keep out predetors

DoolallyDonna

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough
Hiya,

My neighbour has just hatched some chicks (21st March) and asked if we want 1 or 2 babies. Oh yeah we do, so I've just bought a coop complete with run for £35.. Bargain! It measures 153cm x 214cm. The coop is enclosed and has a nesting box and an external run... My question and main concern is do i need to somehow bury or barricade the external bits into the ground so the foxes and rats do not get my chickens?

I'm really not too sure what to do... If I just put it on the grass it's defo asking for predators, so thats a no no... I rent my house so any major alterations to the garden arent worth bothering with.. Any advice or suggestions to keep the nasty's out would be greatly appreciated.

I dont know where you live nor what kind of predators you are protecting from. I will share with you what I did. I had many pieces of old plywood. I pushed them up against the two by fours that form the bottom perimeter of my pen. They extend about 1-2 feet away from the perimeter. I then lightly covered them with dirt. I put a solid plywood floor in my coop. I have not had any problems with predators yet though I am visited by raccoons almost nightly.

Quote:
Sorry, I've only just joined and havnt updated my details yet.. I'm from England, UK, but your info is very useful, I will try that with my coop and hopefully that will be some defence... (Even tho I would love to see a racoon and wld welcome them into my garden, but (sadly for me)they are not native in the UK) I know rats and foxes can burrow so i wondered if anyone with free standing coops had any problems or had any solutions to combat these nasty pet eating vermin????

I'd suggest an apron of wire (such as 2x4" welded wire, or smaller mesh - just make sure it is heavy enough gauge to be strong) laid on the ground for 2-3' out from the edges of the coop and run. If it is well weighted or pinned down, and attached to the coop/run walls, it will more or less prevent foxes digging in.

Rats, there's not so much you can do about, unfortunately, if you have a serious problem. You might put the food in a ratproof location overnight, although that's obviously more work for you.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom