Help please! One of our ducks hurt her bill

Heather6600

Hatching
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
My husband went it feed the ducks last night and noticed one had a bad injury to her bill. It looks like it was smashed :( Se has a large cut across the top of her bill with an open wound. It is below her nostrils. She still seams to eat. We poured hydrogen peroxide on it then put a cream we use in our dogs..horsemans dream veterinary cream with aloe over it. We did the same again tonight..ifninhad to guess I'd say the top bill is broken.
Ay suggestions on how best to treat her?

[V

[/VIDEO]

[V
[/VIDEO]
Do you think something grabbed her? use hydrogen peroxide only one time for cleaning out bacteria then use your cream, only problem is they dunk their heads so often to clean out their nares it will be washed off but just keep applying it. also add some Apple Cider Vinegar to their water. 1-2 Tab per gallon this will keep bacteria down and also aides in healing and is a good all round tonic. Un pasterized is best but if you don't have it use reg. use the ACV along with the cream till you see the bill healing over. and try to find out what caused this so it doesn't happen to another. seems lately we have a couple other bill injuries I'm wondering if the frigid temps are playing a part. as long as she can eat and driningk those are both good signs just keep an eye on her. don't let their water freeze so they are pecking at the ice. Don't use anything that has pain reliever in especially ending in caine. and their is another product called Veterycin spray{TSC} that is great for wounds and infections and it can be sprayed on so no need to touch the bill. Please keep us updated on how it's doing. and welcome to BYC

Do you think something grabbed her? use hydrogen peroxide only one time for cleaning out bacteria then use your cream, only problem is they dunk their heads so often to clean out their nares it will be washed off but just keep applying it. also add some Apple Cider Vinegar to their water. 1-2 Tab per gallon this will keep bacteria down and also aides in healing and is a good all round tonic. Un pasterized is best but if you don't have it use reg. use the ACV along with the cream till you see the bill healing over. and try to find out what caused this so it doesn't happen to another. seems lately we have a couple other bill injuries I'm wondering if the frigid temps are playing a part. as long as she can eat and driningk those are both good signs just keep an eye on her. don't let their water freeze so they are pecking at the ice.  Don't use anything that has pain reliever in especially ending in caine. and their is another product called Veterycin spray{TSC} that is great for wounds and infections and it can be sprayed on so no need to touch the bill. Please keep us updated on how it's doing. and welcome to BYC

X2

I had a bill injury here, not quite that severe, but the ACV + water healed it very quickly, like within a week.

Definitely use Apple Cider Vinegar. It's a natural anti-bacterial and it works really well! I had a duck get in a fight with our rooster through their dividing fence, and she ended up with a hole in her bill. It got infected (warm to the touch, puffy, and slightly green), so I tried ACV in a water dish deep enough to wash her bill in; all the ducks loved it and in 3 days the wound was mostly healed.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your Replys!

It looks like she got her bill stuck, there are no puncture wounds. It look squished and then the big gash. We live in SoCal so no worries about ice. She is very friendly, and i have no problems picking her up and touching/treating
her bill. I ordered the spray you suggested and we will start applying that. Also put the ACV into their water. We only have two ducks and they are super bonded so i am leaving them together.
So far it does not appear infected but it is such a nasty gash I want to make sure it does not get infected.

Thank you so much for your Replys!

It looks like she got her bill stuck, there are no puncture wounds. It look squished and then the big gash. We live in SoCal so no worries about ice. She is very friendly, and i have no problems picking her up and touching/treating
her bill. I ordered the spray you suggested and we will start applying that. Also put the ACV into their water. We only have two ducks and they are super bonded so i am leaving them together.
So far it does not appear infected but it is such a nasty gash I want to make sure it does not get infected.
Sounds like your on top of it so keep us updated on progress and hopefully you'll see it begin to heal quickly.

Back
Top Bottom