HELP PLEASE! Peababy day old clicking noise from chest

AngryRWH

In the Brooder
May 5, 2016
Phoenix Arizona
I have a day and a half new hatched peababy , rather weak hobbles in brooder head is weak, does chirp nice and loud. The chest has a clicking noise as if it had a loud heartbeat that clicks, constant , I heard this same noise inside the egg shell a day prior to it internally pipping and chirping. The lockdown was 80% Maybe that was too high? two weeks earlier I had 2 peas die in shell about day 25 they stopped moving at the 80% lockdown, prior to dying in shell I heard the same clicking noise in egg those 2 never made it to internal pip and chirp. the airsack was never punctured, no draw down. head still tucked under wing. This latest chick that is struggling had trouble hatching after pip it was too weak I had to help it hatch after 24 hrs of no progress.. This pea has not eaten drank yet. Any advice appreciated ! I have 7 more eggs in my hubabator varying due dates I have lowered those from 60% to 50% humidity.I think the humidy of 80% was too high. I really am heartbroken to think all the peas are doomed. :( (I use two huvabators one for 24 day and the other for lockdown)

here is a video i made of my chick , 40 seconds in you can hear the click noise real well.

i hope someone can please tell me what this is, perhaps did it aspirate some water?

Last edited:
That is a Major sign of retained/other yolk sac issues...hate to tell you this but that chick will prob. die by day 4.
" Can" live up to 3 weeks but not likely.
NO food for babies until day 3 please, water on day 2 is fine.
Always offer water before food too, btw.
80% humidity is too high....65% is good for peafowl eggs during the last couple days with around 60% during the first 24-25 days.

Last edited:
The ones I've had with yolk issues didn't make any noise. Not saying that's not the problem here, just that the six I have had that failed to absorb their yolks didn't make any noise.

-Kathy

retained yolk sac and non absorbed are two different things...just saying.
wink.png

Clicking noises, wheezy chirp, shriveled up legs, gummy eyes, dry dull feathering, distended belly are a few signs of retained yolk sac. IE: failure to utilize the yolk sac after it has been absorbed .

AngryRWH , I wish you the best with that chick but please don't expect it, please let us know the outcome.

It was two day early hatch, temp was too high first 15 days due to faulty thermometer. humidity was too high, I really did not think it would survive even an hour to be honest. I needed to be sure that it was not a respiratory issue needing meds. If there is something I can do to improve its chances I will. Thanks for your information.

retained yolk sac and non absorbed are two different things...just saying. ;)
Clicking noises, wheezy chirp, shriveled up legs, gummy eyes,  dry dull feathering, distended belly are a few  signs of retained yolk sac.   IE: failure to utilize the yolk sac after it has been absorbed  .    

AngryRWH , I wish you the best with that chick but please don't expect it, please let us know the outcome.

I guess I should have worded it better... Of course I know the difference between the failure to draw the sac into the belly and failure to utilize the yolk after it's in the belly, and I was referring to the latter. All I was saying is that the several I had with what you call "retained" sacs did not make any clicking or wheezing sounds, nor did they have gummy or shriveled legs, but all *did* have bloated bellies. Most die by day 5, but rarely they can live for weeks (have necropsy pictures of a 41 day old that still had the yolk sac in it's belly).

-Kathy

It was two day early hatch, temp was too high first 15 days due to faulty thermometer. humidity was too high, I really did not think it would survive even an hour to be honest. I needed to be sure that it was not a respiratory issue needing meds. If there is something I can do to improve its chances I will. Thanks for your information.

It's clearly in respiratory distress, but hard to say what's causing it. Not sure what i would do if i were in your shoes... Maybe i'd try a litlle Baytril?

What thermometer and hygrometers are you using now?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom