HELP PLEASE...PICS INCLUDED...WARNING GRAPHIC...WILL SHE LIVE?

thanks yalll, i feel like my kid is hurt or sick or something...i guess some lessons are learned the hard way...quite a few peeps told me 16 weeks...guess all hens are different personality wise...its a dark brahma thats doing the damage.

keep that wound moist till it starts healing up...flush daily with sterile saline and put on triple antibiotic creme. Keep separated from rest till healed.

Sorry about your baby. I haven't had that happen to my flock, yet, but I feel for you.
hugs.gif

Don't know if it would work for chickens or not, but ... I had a Peke that got in a dog fight and the other dogs nearly pulled her tail off. (They were in separate pens, but Munchkin got too close to the divider, I guess.)
ep.gif
Anyway, we thought our vet would amputate the tail. There was an open wound about 2 inches wide around the entire base of the tail on the body.

Our vet mixed up a concoction of vaseline and sugar, about equal parts, and mixed in Betadine. I will tell you it is hard to mix in the Betadine. We had to pack the wound for several days. The sugar acts like an abrasive to remove dead or dying tissue, the vaseline keeps it moist, and the Betadine is an antiseptic.

After about 5 days or so, we were to start putting on Preparation-H instead. It promotes healing, cuts down on itching, pain, etc.

Believe it or not, the wound healed and left only a thin scar and there was a ring of about a quarter of an inch that didn't regrow hair. Being a peke, unless you parted the fur and looked, you'd never have known it. I do know this concoction works on people. I figure it wouldn't hurt the chicken.
hu.gif

Good luck with your girl!
jumpy.gif

Mary

My pheasants attacked each other and one was left with a skinned head. Took him out of the coop and cleaned and put neosporin on it for a few days and he made a full recovery. Tough he didn't have any feathers on the top of his head.

Back
Top Bottom