Help please! Second in flock sick...month old duck!!!!

EMK

Hatching
May 29, 2020
Found my second duck with his head bent back wards, lethargic, I am wondering if they are eating the pine wood chips? Help please!!!!!! I don’t know what to do!

Found my second duck with his head bent back wards, lethargic, I am wondering if they are eating the pine wood chips? Help please!!!!!! I don’t know what to do!
Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry no one has answered either of your threads. Is this concerning the same Duck?

Hopefully someone that deals with ducks can help you.
If you have photos those may help too.

@Miss Lydia @Pyxis @honanbm @shawluvsbirds can someone help the OP?

Other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-urgent-month-old-cayuga-duck-very-lethargic.1380736/

What are you feeding? Temp of brooder? Pics of your setup? Let's get a better idea of what may be happening.
Thank you for answering. I have them on un-medicated duck feed and added brewers yeast for niacin. I was slowly introducing spinach and apple (as well as grass when they are outside foraging). We have not treated our grass, or even cut it (we were leaving it for the bees). They are monitored while they are outside and in a secure area. No chance of getting into anything. Friday at 6:30am Stormie was the first to go limp, I honestly thought he was dead. We had them inside in a big playpen with pine shaving covered with hay. I picked him up and his eyes were open, I got him upright and got him in the bath. He was swimming around in no time. I separated him from the rest. That night at 11:30pm Lucky did the same thing. I picked him up and brought him to the bath, same reaction. I separated him as well. I spoke to a few duck families and a vet and they said it could be dietary. So I introduced, blueberries for natural sugar, lettuce, a bit of garlic and fresh oregano. I got electrolytes from the feed store and they have had that in their water since Saturday morning. I have sanitized everything and am not using pine shavings anymore. They all seemed to be doing great and then last night we heard a curfluffle and found Gordie the same way. I did the same think, for him, got him upright, and put him in the bath, gave him some blueberries and he seems fine now. I separated him into a big bin in another room. I went to check on the others a couple hours later and everyone looked up at me and everyone looked good (they are in a big kiddie pool in another room with hay, their un-medicated duck feed, and electrolyte water, deep enough so they can submerge their whole bills) and then I startled them with the light from my phone, one went crazy running around and it honestly looked like Lucky got scared and he fell over the same way! I would not have believe it if I didn’t see it. Is that possible? I have been up all night going back and forth checking on everyone and read up on Tonic immobility, could this be what is going on? Their nasal passages are clear, no cloudy eyes, are a little slow to start eating after this happens but that’s it! If this were a parasite or a respiratory disease would I have a dead duck already if this started on Friday? I really appreciate your help!

What are you feeding? Temp of brooder? Pics of your setup? Let's get a better idea of what may be happening.
Here is a pic of them last night...
3D6E4BD7-1795-41E9-A6B2-17D94A4BF80B.png
I also put a humidifier beside them as I thought it wouldn’t hurt.

Where are you located? I'd remove heat, and switch feed to Purina all flock crumbles. I'd provide fresh, clean water with no additives. I'd remove the hay as it can be dusty, and molds quickly when wet.
Are these little guys all related?

I am located in Ontario Canada. We just went from a heat advisory 85*f to 50*f...I changed their hay at least twice a day. What should I use instead of hay? I put down puppy pee pads under the hay that absorb the moisture. Change it all at least twice a day. I can’t wait for nicer weather so they can be outside. Is there anything else I should be doing? Have you heard of the lethargic behaviour before? Should I be taking them to a vet? (It is a 2 hour drive). I am worried sick. I stay up all night making sure they are all ok. I am in tears from worry (and probably exhaustion). I really appreciate you getting back to me.

I am located in Ontario Canada. We just went from a heat advisory 85*f to 50*f...I changed their hay at least twice a day. What should I use instead of hay? I put down puppy pee pads under the hay that absorb the moisture. Change it all at least twice a day. I can’t wait for nicer weather so they can be outside. Is there anything else I should be doing? Have you heard of the lethargic behaviour before? Should I be taking them to a vet? (It is a 2 hour drive). I am worried sick. I stay up all night making sure they are all ok. I am in tears from worry (and probably exhaustion). I really appreciate you getting back to me.
It sounds like you're doing your very best for them. Try not to worry!
I use pine chips, and I typically don't use any heat with my ducklings after they are eating and drinking. I prefer to brood outdoors as well making sure that they have a shelter, and shade. I really do encourage you to try the flock raiser. It is formulated perfectly for waterfowl so you don't have to worry about adding stuff. If feeding lettuce, and greens, are you also providing grit?

I had taken the heat away, and then the other night they were all huddled together so I thought it couldn’t hurt after their evening bath. I haven’t been providing grit bc they forage in the yard and I thought maybe that was enough but I definitely can. I will order flock raiser today. They may all be related, I am not sure. We have a mix of Cayuga/Ancona/Crested and the farm we got the eggs from had several ducks all together. Do you think the lethargic behaviour from 3 different ducks warrants a trip to the vets? Have you heard of this before?

Back
Top Bottom