HELP PLEASE !!!! SERIOUS VENT PROLAPSE! IS IT TIME TO CULL?

How old is she? How has her health and egg laying been up until now. I believe, in my personal opinion, that it's still early to make the decision on culling or not. Typically it's not advised to make an incision to the vent, but chickens are incredible beings and are able to heal from some of the worst wounds, if the time and care can be given AND the bird is in good health otherwise. Culling is a personal decision. Oftentimes the flock keeper is the only one that can make the best decision on that because they know how much time and energy they can put forth to caring for the wound and they know the birds history.

Last edited:
How old is she? How has her health and egg laying been up until now. I believe, in my personal opinion, that it's still early to make the decision on culling or not. Typically it's not advised to make an incision to the vent, but chickens are incredible beings and are able to heal from some of the worst wounds, if the time and care can be given AND the bird is in good health otherwise. Culling is a personal decision. Oftentimes the flock keeper is the only one that can make the best decision on that because they know how much time and energy they can put forth to caring for the wound and they know the birds history.
THANK YOU. I do not want to cull her. She started laying eggs young and has done fine with small eggs. This time the egg she was trying to lay was large (poor baby). He is in good health otherwise. She is 22 weeks old and has been laying since 18 weeks.

DO you have Vetrycin? I have heard that you can spray ti not eh prolapsed vent and it will heal well. I always use vetrycin fo rounds on all kinds of animals, and I LOVE it! I have never used it on a prolapse, but it is labeled for it, and I've heard that it works well.
Thank you, I have used Vetrycin and antibiotic ointment. I am just going to give it time.

Sorry about your hen. Has she been pooping since you got the egg out? Have you offered her any food, and is she drinking the water? I might go ahead and soak her once a day in warm Epsom salts or water with Betadine or Chlorhexidene. Try to gently wash the necrotic area to help remove some of it. Then apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Keep the prolapse moist with the ointment until you can push it back inside.

Thank you!!!! Sh is pooping slimy yeasty white with solid dark brown. She has been drinking water and this morning is eating some shredded veggies . I am continuing the soaks with applying neosporin. I am going to get som Epsom salts and betadine as well as vetrycin which i have used with other chickens. Thank you so much. Glad no one replied that I should euthanize her 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom