HELP!! PLEASE. Something stuck in hen; quite possibly an egg? WHAT TO DO

Hey, just wanted to let you know your doing great! After reading and thinking, I definitely would have to agree with eggcessive about it not being egg bound. Always a guessing game with hens :/ I will be sticking around. I am very interested to see how she pulls through

Hey, just wanted to let you know your doing great! After reading and thinking, I definitely would have to agree with eggcessive about it not being egg bound. Always a guessing game with hens :/ I will be sticking around. I am very interested to see how she pulls through

If she went and played in the dirt and in the process ended up with the substance in her wound and vent, should I clean it out before reapplying the treatments? Or leave it as is and see if she can't finish healing on her own? She spent the entire day outside today and other than a little less energy (believe this is the acclimation to being kept inside for so long), did absolutely amazing. She searched for bugs and did a lot of dust bathing in the patches of dirt across the land.@Eggcessive @Chick-N-Fun @Chicken Poika

I would probably bathe her vent area and wound once a day, and and spray with Vetericyn, reapply the SWAT when she is back outside in the AM.

If the dirt has clumped together (stuck to the SWAT :hmm), how best should I go about removing it from her? I tried rinsing it off with water before using a washcloth to provide manual exfoliation but the dirt would not budge.

Soapy warm water for about 20 minutes might help with a little gentle washing with a cloth. It might be better to let her out in a wire dog crate for visits until her wounds heal a little more, somshe doesn’t get dirt in the wounds.

Absolutely. As long as she is getting a daily soak and Vetericyn on her wounds/vent area she will be fine. You can stop applying SWAT once you are sure that the flies aren’t irritating the area.
Keep up the great work! :highfive: ❤️

Absolutely. As long as she is getting a daily soak and Vetericyn on her wounds/vent area she will be fine. You can stop applying SWAT once you are sure that the flies aren’t irritating the area.
Keep up the great work! :highfive:

Thank you so much love!! This morning, I rinsed out most of the dirt stuck in her wounds from yesterday (had to do a little manual exfoliation with soapy water as advised) before spritzing some saline solution and applying the antibiotic. She's doing amazing. Eating her yogurt with apples, drinking water, making sounds, and flapping about. Really happy to see how far she has come from Thursday when I found the maggots lining her wounds. Once again, thank you for the speedy response, Chick-N-Fun!

Back
Top Bottom