HELP!! PLEASE. Something stuck in hen; quite possibly an egg? WHAT TO DO

Pics
Thank you so much love!! This morning, I rinsed out most of the dirt stuck in her wounds from yesterday (had to do a little manual exfoliation with soapy water as advised) before spritzing some saline solution and applying the antibiotic. She's doing amazing. Eating her yogurt with apples, drinking water, making sounds, and flapping about. Really happy to see how far she has come from Thursday when I found the maggots lining her wounds. Once again, thank you for the speedy response, Chick-N-Fun!
I am so happy to hear about her amazing progress! She is lucky to have such a wonderful nurse! ❤️

I am so happy to hear about her amazing progress! She is lucky to have such a wonderful nurse! ❤

Okay. This question probably sounds dumb but if I cleaned her wound out this morning (but did not soak her), should I soak her or is the cleaning in of itself okay. I feel like there's never enough cleaning of a wound to do but I'd still like to ask.

I would definitely clean it everyday. She may not need a good soaking, but I would clean the wound and apply plain neosporin on it until completely healed.
Suffice to say that rinsing it out with warm, soapy water, followed thereafter by wound spray before applying triple antibiotic ointment is enough? In that case, she's okay to go to bed with the remnants of SWAT from today's dressing?

How is your hen doing????? Any update?

She is doing absolutely wonderful! Doña is making sounds, running about, DIGGING in the ground (absolutely amazing considering she didn't have the energy to do that about two days ago). When dusk broke through the clouds yesterday evening, she even went to sleep in the coop by herself! All cozied up next to her friends, although, not just yet, young lady! haha. She's on the road to an absolute amazing recovery if I may have the hope of saying so myself.

The sad news is that another of my hens is down in the dumps. She has less energy, walking around quite sluggish with her tail feathers and wings drooping. She will constantly fall asleep or walk a bit and than proceed to sit down. I did a full-body revision but didn't find anything wrong with her on the outside. You wouldn't happen to have any experience with an issue like this? I have been supplementing her diet with protein and vitamin E. I sure hope this is nothing serious.

Thank you for checking in on Doña! I don't have fellow hen mothers to talk about this with so having gracious people like you to discuss this with really alleviates the tension of not knowing.

Back
Top Bottom