Help please- warning: graphic egg-topsy pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RavenStorm, Apr 13, 2011.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Ok so my youngest sexually mature Muscovy duck decided she wanted to be a mommy and began sitting on her eggs during one of the coldest weeks in Southern California I can recall. She is very little physically and has never sat before, and I didn't encourage her to sit so I didn't have proper insulating bedding in her lay box at the start. She started to stay in her nest (but got out every other day for an hour at a time to eat and wash) on March 5th, so I started counting from that day.

This was my first hatch too, and I didn't really know how to candle the eggs properly on my second attempt on March 27th. So I screwed up and thought that the few (4 out of 12 that she was sitting on) eggs that were dark when I checked them were dead. The other 8 eggs were clear, so I knew they hadn't developed. I decided to crack the dark eggs open as a learning experience, to see how far they did develop before they died. When I cracked open the first one, it moved for a moment so I realized it had been alive and viable till I killed it. I immediately put the remaining three dark eggs back under mommy, but removed the other 8 clear eggs. Two days later though, she gave up her nest so I popped them in my incubator and learned how to properly candle them. I could see movement from only two of them, and it looked like all three of them were at different levels of development. Now we are over a week late from what my original estimated due-date for the hatch was, but as late as last night I could see that the two moving ones were still moving when I candled them. I know you aren't supposed to candle this late in the "game", but at this point I have no idea how far along they really are so I don't know when to start lock-down.

I took pictures of the embryo (fetus?) of the egg I already cracked on the 27th. Can anyone with a lot more experience than myself please tell me how far along you estimate it's development? Oh and sorry about the dirt, I rinsed it off but all of the "clean" pictures came out too blurry to see anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Dont know but just stop turning them an up the humidity when you ether hear them or see the first pip.

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    I'm glad (well, not happy that you're in this situation, but you know what I mean!) somebody else is in the same situation I am! My ducks were supposed to hatch on the 10th. Today I candled one ebcause I thought they must be dead. And to my surprise, movement! But now I'm not sure if I should start turning again until they pip or what. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by