help please weird chick!!!!

countrygirl36

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
ok so i got 3 chicks and then the week after i got 2 more,i feed them medicated chicki feed,the one of the two acts kind of weird,she lays down a bit more than the others,wnd when i put her on a sheet across the the floor with the other chicks she will lay on her side and use her legs to scratch around and her neck is red,i think from being picked on by the easter egger chick,and under her wings doesnt have any feathers barely and is a bit eed looking,please help!!!

Check her for bugs. Look very carefully. Some bugs are exceptionally small and can be hard to see. What kind of environment are they living in? Do they have a heat lamp?

they are in a big box with a heat lamp,they always have [lenty of food and water and everynow and then they get vitamins in there water.

Some birds are more aggressive than others, so you will need to monitor them for signs of being picked on. If you have a bully in the group then you may want to add a second feed and water station to ensure everyone is getting access to resources. If one bird is continually picking on the others then separate it for a couple days to give the less dominant birds a respite from the assaults.

Chicks can through some very funky looking stages until they reach their full size and feathering. Bald spots are not uncommon especially in cockerels, who grow their feathers in more slowly than pullets.

The weird side-lying/twitching thing is likely the beginnings of a behavior that carries on into adulthood...she is dust bathing. She is apparently interpreting the feel of the sheet as the feel of a soft dirt pile, so she is trying to stir it up and bathe in it.

I hope this helps. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom