help please with dosage of Penicillin for rooster fight wounds

Lets see a closeup of his bill and feet. Continue dosage as if you did not over dose the first time.

Damage does not look consistent with a fair fight in the open. Damage to bill and feet would be expecting if foe was engaged through a fence. If battle one sided with both in the same enclosure or outside, then bird in hand had a prior issue that put him at a major disadvantage where he may have actually fought very little.

Keep him in a cool (50 to 70 F) dry place with water nearby. I would resort to treats to get appetite back. If he has been provide adequate grit then he will be able to handle grains. A small amount of chick grower added to what you provide should help.

I normally do not use antibiotics for such yet survival very high.

Well, thanks so much for all your help, but he is not going to make it. I'm soooo sad. He was a pet. He usually stayed on the porch and stayed to his side of the yard, but since he has gotten older, he's lately been sneaking over into Jr's territory, trying to sneak a date with some of Jr's girls. I've broke up a couple of fights between them in the past month, with the broom, before they really got started, and nobody got hurt, thought he would stop but when we were gone that day to town getting groceries, when we got back he wasn't on the porch and it was bedtime for them. I found him by the chicken pen open door. He hasn't been able to eat anything since then and I haven't been able to get him to even drink but very little water from the dropper, so I don't know what kind of damage may have been done to the inside of his mouth. I did not give him a shot last night since I couldn't get an answer about what to do, so I was afraid to give him more when I had already overdosed him. I don't think it would have made any difference though. He just wasn't able to eat and drink so he was just too weak to overcome it. Makes me so sick!! He was a beautiful and sweet rooster my porch pet. He is as comfortable as I can make him at this point. I wish now that I had just tried to get someone to take Jr. and kept only this one, but I just hated to take Jr away from the hens since they were used to him and he is a good rooster for them, but this one was my favorite and the prettiest too. I will so miss him being on my porch all the time and greeting me every time I go in and out. I could even pet him and give him treats. :( So sad today. He will be gone when I get home from church I'm sure. Thanks so much for all your help. At least I know now not to give more than 1/2cc Penicillin to my chickens when they need it and to use 25 gauge needle, be sure to shake up the med before drawing and how to give the shot properly. Poor baby I miss him already and my throat hurts badly! I can't take this loosing my pets.

Well, thanks so much for all your help, but he is not going to make it. I'm soooo sad. He was a pet. He usually stayed on the porch and stayed to his side of the yard, but since he has gotten older, he's lately been sneaking over into Jr's territory, trying to sneak a date with some of Jr's girls. I've broke up a couple of fights between them in the past month, with the broom, before they really got started, and nobody got hurt, thought he would stop but when we were gone that day to town getting groceries, when we got back he wasn't on the porch and it was bedtime for them. I found him by the chicken pen open door. He hasn't been able to eat anything since then and I haven't been able to get him to even drink but very little water from the dropper, so I don't know what kind of damage may have been done to the inside of his mouth. I did not give him a shot last night since I couldn't get an answer about what to do, so I was afraid to give him more when I had already overdosed him. I don't think it would have made any difference though. He just wasn't able to eat and drink so he was just too weak to overcome it. Makes me so sick!! He was a beautiful and sweet rooster my porch pet. He is as comfortable as I can make him at this point. I wish now that I had just tried to get someone to take Jr. and kept only this one, but I just hated to take Jr away from the hens since they were used to him and he is a good rooster for them, but this one was my favorite and the prettiest too. I will so miss him being on my porch all the time and greeting me every time I go in and out. I could even pet him and give him treats. :( So sad today. He will be gone when I get home from church I'm sure. Thanks so much for all your help. At least I know now not to give more than 1/2cc Penicillin to my chickens when they need it and to use 25 gauge needle, be sure to shake up the med before drawing and how to give the shot properly. Poor baby I miss him already and my throat hurts badly! I can't take this loosing my pets.
You need to use a 20 gauge needle for procaine penicillin, since it is too thick to go through a 25 gauge or even 22 gauge needle. You didn't overdose him that bad--antibiotic dosages can vary a lot, and there will be no problems unless they are the kinds like sulfa drugs and some that can be toxic if overdosed. For a bantam rooster, I would give 1/4 ml. Since he is such a pet, I would try to tube feed him (I know that Centrarchid is rolling his eyes right now if he is reading this) since he is not eating. You need to give him fluids first, then you can tube feed him KayTee baby bird feed.You can fashion a tube or crop feeding apparatus out of a piece of aquarium tubing (take a lighter and melt one end to soften it so that it doesn't cut his throat,) and a 35 or 60 cc syringe. Sorry if it is too late. I don't tube feed my chickens, but Casportpony has a good thread on it with videos here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I am not averse to tube-feeding a pet. Hydration is a major concern. His stated weight for a probable gamerooster indicates a complicating issue has gotten his weight down before the actual flight.

Thanks so much everyone for all the good info. As I knew, he was gone when I got home. He was just too weak from not being able to eat to make it I think. He was not in bad health, He was actually a very healthy cockerel, it's just that the other one was much bigger and older than him. He was really still just a baby. I think he might have gotten cornered in the door of the chicken pen where I found him and he was unable to protect himself properly. He had been wormed and has always had an excellent diet and was very well cared for, more so than the rest of them actually since he was a porch pet. He just bit off more than he could chew fighting with Jr. He may have had internal injuries that I could not see or a puncture that I could not find and the inside of his mouth could have been damaged or his throat or something, but he was very healthy and beautiful. This is the bad thing abut having baby chicks, there are always some roosters in the bunch, then I don't have anybody to give them to anymore and just can't kill them. I now have 4 roosters and don't know which out of the 3 chicks we now have will be a rooster also, hoping that they are all hens!! They look like hens so far anyway. Now only have 1 rooster that is free ranging, the one that killed my porch baby. The others are penned in separate pens, but need to get rid of some of them. Mother wants to get rid of all the roosters so we won't have any more babies and just buy our hens from the co-op when we want. I love to have the chick babies, but this is getting to be too much for me with all the roosters. This is the first time this has ever happened though and I hope it will be the last! Now I have to go and bury my baby today. I will remember all the good advise and I do have lots of 20 gauge needles, so glad that I won't have to go buy more. I thought that 25 g was the right one, Thanks for the tube feeding link. Hope I never have to do it though! Thanks everyone! so sad
hit.gif

He was right at a year old give or take. What do you mean by dubbed? Never heard that term before. Well unfortunately when you have free range chickens they are more susceptible to being attacked by predators and things happening to them. Also had chickens for years with no problems until my husband brought home some pullets from a friend of his and they were sick, and even though we didn't have them in the same pen as my other chickens already established, they were in a pen beside them and some of my others got sick just from being close to them. They were dieing left and right and sent one off to necropsy with results of all kinds of stuff. Took forever to get the necropsy report back and almost didn't even get it at all. So since then, have only had the hen that was attacked, and now my rooster. Yes, I will definitely try to intervene with medical help when I have to and however I can to save my chickens since they are all like pets to me and I hate to loose any of them. I don't know a lot, but have learned quite a bit from tending my chickens and most have made it back and healthy because of that. I refuse to just sit back and let them die, not an option for me. Things happen to free range chickens though probably more so than ones that are penned. Usually when a predator gets one, it's just gone so my hen was the first one that I actually did save from a predator and was so happy since she was one of my favorites, now she is well and happy and has a baby of her own and is a very good mother.

Sorry for your loss. I have also been there with hatching too many roosters. The last three summers I have given a friend my extra cockerels to supply his family with meat. In my experience people around here don't want to be bothered with butchering even free chickens.

Back
Top Bottom