help please with dosage of Penicillin for rooster fight wounds

Harry Rooster

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
"the boonies" in, Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
My rooster got beat up by another of my roosters a couple of days ago. I treated his wounds which are pretty bad, but he is hanging on, and I treated them with Betadine/water and then Neosporin on them. I fear that he will loose one of his eyes. I have been giving him Asprin in some high protein water with little sugar, but he is not drinking a lot of it, but maybe 1/2 syringe full. I finally broke down and gave him a shot last night of Penicillin 1cc as I saw on youtube video. He is loosing weight though as he is not eating and only drinking what I give him in the syringe. I gave him some smoothie/water a little bit ago but not much. He is very sleepy and I have smelled him some. He seems to be better today a tiny bit, but I need to know what dosage to give him for sure and how often if every day or every other day. It is Penicillin G Procraine or something like that. I have not weighed him, but will when I get him out next. I'm guessing 3 to 5 lb. I have read several threads and all the answers are so complicated and so much info I can't wade through it. I suppose that the numbers on the syringe are cc numbers mine starts with 5 then goes up to 1 and so on and so forth but it doesn't have any letters by the number just the number doesn't say cc or ml or anything like that. I hope I did it right with filling it up to 1. Can you please help me! Thanks so much. I will weigh him.

Sorry for your loss... I strongly suggest that you get yourself a tube feeding tube and syringe so that next time you have one that gets sick you can keep it properly hydrated. Then once hydrated, you could tube feed it some Kaytee Baby Bird Food. Most people don't realize how much water a sick bird needs and that there is no way to safely syringe that amount into a bird.

@Harry Rooster , if you can get the supplies, I can teach you how to do it properly.

Places to get tubes and syringes:
The 18
http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com...l-purpose-robinsonnelaton-catheter-351018.htm

Tractor Supply sells single 60ml catheter tip syringes for $5.00 each
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/producers-pridereg;-syringe-with-cathater-tip-60-cc-capacity

These are the cheapest we could find and they last much longer than the more expensive brands.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/syringe-60cc-catheter-tip-25-box-MV60CCCT/mvi-syringes-needles
20416_16013_large.jpg

Help | Tell a Friend | Printable Version
Med-Vet Syringes 60cc Catheter Tip 25/bx

Item#: MV60CCCT
Vendor: Oasis
Price:$9.99
Quantity:

-Kathy

Last edited:
I knew a guy who had a Rosecomb Bantam rooster and a big Wyandotte rooster. I warned him about it, but he didn't listen. He would let them range together with their own hens. He lived on 5 acres. He had no problems besides an occasional challenge between the two for about a year. One day he came out of the house and found his big, handsome Wyandotte dead from being spurred by the Rosecomb. This is why I have always recommended 1 rooster per flock of hens with their own pen and coop, and rotational ranging between flocks. I've had all sorts of know-it-alls argue with me on this subject. I'm sorry you lost your little buddy. Everyone, including me, have learned the hard way at some point, and we are always learning.

Aside from the good advice from others so far, add some poultry vitamins-electrolytes + 1 tsp of Probios dispersible powder for each gallon of water for one day, then just poultry vitamin-electrolyte powder for 3 more. Do that while he is recovering 4 days each week. That will also help him and relieve stress.

How old was he? He appeared dubbed.

I took time to read some of your other posts. You seem to practice medical intervention rather frequently.

What does this have to do with anything anyway? Everybody's situation is different. Everybody practices medical intervention frequently at one time or another.
When the OP is on the site, it's because she needs medical help. She just isn't on here at any other time. I don't understand what this statement means. This OP isn't any different than any one else who gets on here for help.

Last edited:
Th reason that I'm not on here as much as I used to be is because I have an online shop on Etsy and it takes up all of my time right now with the Christmas season shopping going on, so I haven't had the time to get on here like I used to and just read and research like I used to do. Just came on because of like Chickn said, needed some medical help like everyone else on the Emergencies thread. Y'all come visit me at my shop and see what I've been doing. it's Nature'sUniqueBotique and I am arthandpainter  user name on there. Hope y'all will check me out!! Thanks everyone for all your help. When the Christmas season is over, I will take the time to check out the links on tube feeding Casportpony. Thanks!

Learn to tube and you will have a much better chance at saving them. It's so easy and safe! Once you do learn, you will kick yourself in the butt for not learning sooner. Will it save all birds? Of course not, but they will not die from dehydration and starvation like so many here on BYC do.

-Kathy

Michael's right... Doesn't matter, eventually roosters will fight. Some will figure it out on their own, but others will keep at it until one or both are seriously injured. We have seven acres, lots of hens and roosters, and most of them tolerate each other, but every now and then I'll have a couple that will keep at it. I haven't lost any yet, but I do know that someday it might happen.

-Kathy

I have 4 silkie roosters that have been together for years with never any issues,they will chase each other,but there has never been any bloodshed nor any wounds,so yes it is possible depending on breed to keep roosters together.

My orpington boys on the other hand i would not keep together,even though they were hatched together they will still fight,so these bad boys are kept separate to prevent any injuries.

All my birds are confined to pens for their own protection,but i do have several feeding/water stations for my roosters to prevent any bird from not receiving enough,especially one silkie rooster that has been frail since hatch.

I had 2 silkie roos and one hen together for years. Never a problem.

I've had roosters before in the same flock twice in 7 years. Not much. I think each situation is different. I think a good situation can change at any moment.

Back
Top Bottom