Help please, wrong side hatching

Dippy-eggs

Chirping
May 23, 2020
One of my eggs has started to hatch (day 20)
This is my first time hatching so need some advice
Some shell has cracked off but on the opposite side to the air sac, it looks as if the shell has cracked but not the membrane
I can’t hear any noises or see any movement

I don’t really want to open the incubator Incase disturbs any others, humidity is between 65-70% in Brinsea ex

19D48895-CF05-4C71-BF48-77263571B4EC.jpeg

If the shell is cracked from inside, that's the chick pipping. If it's pipping, it should be able to get out on its own...because if it's pipping externally is has to be breathing from the air cell. A chick that's externally pipping has internally pipped first. You can, if you feel it necessary, make what is called a "safety hole' in the membrane to make sure the chick has access to air. But just a teensy-tiny one through the membrane. There is an article in the forums under "When to assist a hatching". Read it carefully. Helping past just making a safety hole can save a chick's life, but it can also kill it if you do it too soon, or if you do it incorrectly. Please find and read the article. Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

And the humidity is not THAT critical that if you open the 'bator you'll ruin things. I thought so too, but it's not true. The humidity will come up again remarkably fast. If it doesn't put in a wet paper towel or piece of sponge. Honestly, I had mine open so much during the hatching of our 8 eggs, and all 8 hatched. Please let me now how it goes, I'm off for bed now. Remember to breathe, it will no doubt hatch just fine!

Your chick should be fine - movement and noises is reassuring, but if the chick is still and quiet, it may also be resting. Once it has pipped it can rest for 24 hrs.

I had one that pipped right at opposite end, and although it took longer to come out, it was fine. Only help if you know it is struggling and will definetely need help to get out :)

And the humidity is not THAT critical that if you open the 'bator you'll ruin things. I thought so too, but it's not true. The humidity will come up again remarkably fast. If it doesn't put in a wet paper towel or piece of sponge. Honestly, I had mine open so much during the hatching of our 8 eggs, and all 8 hatched. Please let me now how it goes, I'm off for bed now. Remember to breathe, it will no doubt hatch just fine!
Thank you for your messages :)
I will just keep an eye and let you know how it goes

Your chick should be fine - movement and noises is reassuring, but if the chick is still and quiet, it may also be resting. Once it has pipped it can rest for 24 hrs.

I had one that pipped right at opposite end, and although it took longer to come out, it was fine. Only help if you know it is struggling and will definetely need help to get out :)

thank you for your message,
Fingers crossed,
I just saw it was the wrong end and thought it was done for
Will update :)

If it pips from the wrong end, it always takes longer. It's externally pipping when it should have internally pipped. Internal pipping give it air cell air to breathe, external pipping on the wrong end gives it air to breathe too. Pipping away from the air cell means it could take up to 40 hours to have yolk sack absorbed to hatch. I have a 50 /50 rate of them being able to hatch on their own.

If it pips from the wrong end, it always takes longer. It's externally pipping when it should have internally pipped. Internal pipping give it air cell air to breathe, external pipping on the wrong end gives it air to breathe too. Pipping away from the air cell means it could take up to 40 hours to have yolk sack absorbed to hatch. I have a 50 /50 rate of them being able to hatch on their own.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom