Help please

Rainaxoxo123

Hatching
May 30, 2016
I'm new to this website, but i figured someone here could help me. I have two ducklings, a male and a female. I got them 6 days ago, they are a week and a day old. My female keeps attacking my male and ripping beak fully of his feathers out. He now has a soft bald spot under/around his right wing. she seems to be the dominant one and doesn't like much attention from anyone, and he is a baby who always wants to be held and loved. They are the only ducklings we have and refuse to be separated. Why is she doing this and how to I stop it? :/

I am going to guess she has been traumatized, but sometimes ya get one who is a real challenge.

And ducks respond to TLC and care just like people.

So.

I would get some plastic poultry fence and divide the brooder in half, with water and food on each side. They can see each other, cuddle up next to each other, but the feather-puller cannot grab her broodermate's feathers.

How large is the brooder? If they feel cramped, that can lead to antisocial behavior. And the temperature needs to be appropriate for them. What's the temperature? Any stressors in the environment? Have they had any mishaps?

Have you read the Raising Ducklings sticky?

@Rainaxoxo123

Last edited:
Well I got them when they wer two days old. I can't seperate them like that. I've already tried and they still cry for each other. We are trying to get a bigger brooder, but the brooder was a bucket about 3 1/2 ft long and 1 ft wide. But they wer only in it at night. During the day they would be running around on my floor or bed playing with me or napping with me. The days I've had them my room has been like 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. If they would get too hot I would bring them downstairs where it was a little cooler but not much. The only stressor I could think of is the cat, but they rarely ever see each other and the ducks seem more curious than scared, and no mishaps. I'm with them 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom