HELP PLEASE!!

vava_voom

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
I have one day old chick that we think might be blind? One eye is sometimes covered completely with the membrane, other times the most I can open it is just a little squint. The other eye is fully open. But there isn't a lot of response when your finger is close to her face. Also, she seems to be fine and great difficulty finding water and feed. I was able to get a little sugar water and check mash into her, but only very little, and fed by hand. Anybody got any ideas? I'd really hate to lose her! Thank you!

Just realized there are multiple autocorrect errors in my post...I am not trying to open the chick's eye, she is trying herself. Also, she's not "fine", that should've said difficulty finding the good and water. Just wanted to clarify. She just ate some more sugar water/mash, but not going to water or food on her own. Also stands/lays apart from the rest of the brood and seems more lethargic than the others.

I can't tell you if your chick is blind or not but if it is it should be fine. We bought a trio of black English awhile back and didn't notice at the time because it was getting late and we drove for quite awhile to pick them up, that one of them was blind in one eye. She is grown now and you wouldn't notice she is blind in one eye unless you really pay attention to her.

Get some Sav a Chick and try that. You can wash the eye with a little warm saline or eye wash for people. Put a tiny dab of triple antibiotic ointment (with NO pain reliever in it) on the eye that won't open.

Keep hand feeding? Might she eventually drink and eat in her own? She's often at the dishes, just doesn't actually take anything in.

If you're up to the challenge, you're on the right track. Keeping it with the others (if they're not picking on it) & making sure it's eating & drinking is about all you can do. As wynn4578 it will adjust & follow/learn from the others where the food/water is.

Are you using a heat light/lamp or MHP? Is it warm enough? You could try putting it in the middle of the bunch, see how they all respond, could be it can't find the rest?

We try to save all our chicks, there are times it's just not meant to be. When I first started raising chicks (2013) I never lost any. However this year hasn't been so great, quite upsetting loosing one but several in one clutch! I've been told "it happens"....

Others may have more ideas as to what you can try doing. Good luck.

If she is acting lethargic you might try giving her some nutradrench. Or get some electrolytes in her sometimes that will pick them up a bit and make them a little more active. Pedialyte, watered down Gatorade, they also make a powder just for chickens and such but the name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: probably should have noted not all three. Pick one.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice. My chick is now eating and drinking on her own, and seems to be improving rapidly! What a relief! My first hatch and 90% hatch rate for Scots Dumpies! The eye is still in question...looks like there is a separation of the top rim of the eyelid which keeps sliding over the eye and the eyelid can't be opened. It is not an open wound, looks like its developmental, but seems to be improving anyway with the application of ointment.

Thanks for all your advice. My chick is now eating and drinking on her own, and seems to be improving rapidly! What a relief! My first hatch and 90% hatch rate for Scots Dumpies! The eye is still in question...looks like there is a separation of the top rim of the eyelid which keeps sliding over the eye and the eyelid can't be opened. It is not an open wound, looks like its developmental, but seems to be improving anyway with the application of ointment.

This may be her nictating membrane. If her eye is bothering her or feels like it has something in it she will keep it closed or you may see it sliding back and forth occasionally trying to clear her eye. Think of it kind of like a third eyelid that a chicken can see through Where we have 2 (upper and lower). The upper eyelid barely moves kind of like our lower eyelid. The lower eyelid does all the moving to close the eye and block light. The nictating membrane blinks and protects the eye from debris but allows the chicken to still see its surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom