LHampton

Hatching
Jun 2, 2018
Okay so maybe about three weeks ago i took home five baby chicks that were hatched in my biology class.One of them being a smaller one whose egg sac(or at least that's what I was told it was) grew on the outside of her body and dangled. It has then fell off and she appeared to be fine. She doesn't grow as fast as the rest, in fact, she's only grown a little from when she first hatched. Yesterday when I went to check on them and they all got up but her. When i picked her up i noticed she had difficutly standing and walking. She slipped while walking a great deal. *Side note she wasn't like this the day before* Today she can't walk, stand, anything.Anytime i try to sit her up she falls over. Earlier she would drink two sips of water and eat a nice amount of food, now she won't do either. I'm very concerned for her all she has been doing is sleeping. I don't think it's spraddle leg, I don't know what elseis there, this all happened so sudden.

Lost my chick a few weeks ago and they had this behavior. Later found out the chick had pasty butt (you might want to check for that if you haven’t already). I would remove her from the rest of the chicks, mine got trampled and killed being with the rest because it was so weak. I’m not an expert, in fact I’m new to chicken keeping so I can’t tell you any diseases or anything like that. Try sugar water & electrolytes, maybe it’s an energy problem. I know that’s worked for a lot of people. Only other thing I can suggest is check your brooder temperature, it might be too hot/too cold. If you don’t see any of these problems, your chick might just be a runt. Some chicks just die no matter what you do to help. Sorry to hear about this, hope your chick gets better and lives on.

Okay so maybe about three weeks ago i took home five baby chicks that were hatched in my biology class.One of them being a smaller one whose egg sac(or at least that's what I was told it was) grew on the outside of her body and dangled. It has then fell off and she appeared to be fine. She doesn't grow as fast as the rest, in fact, she's only grown a little from when she first hatched. Yesterday when I went to check on them and they all got up but her. When i picked her up i noticed she had difficutly standing and walking. She slipped while walking a great deal. *Side note she wasn't like this the day before* Today she can't walk, stand, anything.Anytime i try to sit her up she falls over. Earlier she would drink two sips of water and eat a nice amount of food, now she won't do either. I'm very concerned for her all she has been doing is sleeping. I don't think it's spraddle leg, I don't know what elseis there, this all happened so sudden.
I've only had 1 survive that had it's yolk on the outside one of it's hatch mates had the same problem the one that survived was as big as all the other chicks the other was small and cheeped incessantly like it was cold I upped the brooder temp it lived for a week, the stress from moving to it's forever home was too much for it and it died the same night. :/ there isn't a lot that can be done. (at least not in my experience) but I wouldn't give up on it either. What JulesShcmitz suggested is what I would have said to do too. GL hope it makes it.

She slipped while walking a great deal.
Today she can't walk, stand, anything.Anytime i try to sit her up she falls over. Earlier she would drink two sips of water and eat a nice amount of food, now she won't do either. I'm very concerned for her all she has been doing is sleeping

You mention she slipped, is the surface of your brooder slick?
Photos of the chick may be helpful.

I'm very sorry, sometimes chicks fail to thrive. The best you can do sometimes is what the others have suggested. Try to keep her hydrated and see if she will eat. If she doesn't rally, then you may need to consider ending her suffering.

Back
Top Bottom