Help please!

CrazyMtBusDrivr

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2017
My husband was the goose expert in the family and he recently passed away. I had to rehome his Africans because they were unruly but I kept the embden geese.
I thought the pair were done laying for the season but it turned out that the female was just really good at hiding her eggs so I let her sit the nest and ended up with one hatchling which they almost immediately lost track of and was out in the wet grass after a storm.
I took the baby away and brought it inside dried it off and put it in a brooder with a heat lamp and unmedicated chick feed and water. The first 24 hours was great but I've never really gotten her to eat the crumble and I'm starting to be very worried about her. I've just got into town to get some supplements with niacin for her but I'm not sure what else to do. She's so tiny that I can't force her to eat crumble. I've tried moistening it and I've tried putting it in a syringe but it just seems to clock the syringe. Please I'll take any suggestions
I'm desperate for help because I feel like I can't lose her too

Last edited:
My husband was the goose expert in the family and he recently passed away. I had to rehome his Africans because they were unruly but I kept the embden geese.
I thought the pair were done laying for the season but it turned out that the female was just really good at hiding her eggs so I let her sit the nest and ended up with one hatchling which they almost immediately lost track of and was out in the wet grass after a storm.
I took the baby away and brought it inside dried it off and put it in a brooder with a heat lamp and medicated chick feed and water. The first 24 hours was great but I've never really gotten her to eat the crumble and I'm starting to be very worried about her. I've just got into town to get some supplements with niacin for her but I'm not sure what else to do. She's so tiny that I can't force her to eat crumble. I've tried moistening it and I've tried putting it in a syringe but it just seems to clock the syringe. Please I'll take any suggestions
You are on the right track with wet food, make an oatmeal consistency paste (use water with electrolyte/vitamin powder). I think you will need to scoop some of it onto the end of a spoon, open her beak and drop it in. It will take a lot of patience and effort but if you can get her to eat she will stand a better chance.
Please keep us updated, good luck :)

You are on the right track with wet food, make an oatmeal consistency paste (use water with electrolyte/vitamin powder). I think you will need to scoop some of it onto the end of a spoon, open her beak and drop it in. It will take a lot of patience and effort but if you can get her to eat she will stand a better chance.
Please keep us updated, good luck :)
Thank you I will try the oatmeal paste.
I just noticed the typo about the food. She has UN medicated food.
She's pretty good about drinking water so now has the electrolytes with niacin in it. Hoping for the best

Thank you I will try the oatmeal paste.
I just noticed the typo about the food. She has UN medicated food.
She's pretty good about drinking water so now has the electrolytes with niacin in it. Hoping for the best
I thought waterfowl cant eat medicated food. Is this one made for waterfowl? Or something?

I took the baby away and brought it inside dried it off and put it in a brooder with a heat lamp and unmedicated chick feed and water. The first 24 hours was great but I've never really gotten her to eat the crumble and I'm starting to be very worried about her. I've just got into town to get some supplements with niacin for her but I'm not sure what else to do. She's so tiny that I can't force her to eat crumble. I've tried moistening it and I've tried putting it in a syringe but it just seems to clock the syringe. Please I'll take any suggestions
Just an update: She/he is doing great! She is currently living in a pack-n-play with her stuffed animals.
I take her out every day to say HI to her bio mom and stretch her legs. She loves running through the sprinkler with me, and yesterday had her first time in the bath tub. I kept it shallow enough so she could touch so she wouldn't be overwhelmed, but she has had previous baths in the sink.
Running water makes her anxious so from now on I'll fill the tub before she comes in.
but she now weighs 24.4 oz and is a total xhow hound.
I was able to get her appetite
Curious... Foie gras is forcefed, I know it's not ideal but would you be able to use a syringe to feed if she wont eat at all?
Yes I
Curious... Foie gras is forcefed, I know it's not ideal but would you be able to use a syringe to feed if she wont eat at all?
It would probably be possible but I was able to get her to eat by introducing her to watermelon.

Back
Top Bottom