HELP PLEASE

dana_o

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
Hi I'm Dana. Pretty sure I've used this page before but my bantam hen I think got into a fight with one of my other hens. She lost a lot of feathers and her eye is shut. She won't open it. It looks a little sunk in as well. She won't eat or drink. And when I tried a few drops of water from a syringe she acted as though it hurt to swallow, even though I can find no injuries to her neck. She's been keeping her beak cracked open and won't really close it much. She's also got this brown sticky stuff in her beak. I'm not sure what it is but I've been trying to keep it cleaned out of her mouth. She's not very lovely but will walk around slowly some. She's usually one f my liveliest hens. She's been sleeping a lot. I have no idea what to do so any help is welcomed.

There is a possibility that your hen is sick and that's why the other hen attacked her. Is there a foul odor coming from her beak?

Do you have a lot of pigeons and other wild birds hanging around that use the same water sources as your chickens? If so, there's a strong possibility this is canker, a protozoa disease that needs treating with one of these:

Successful treatments include carnidazole (10 mg/kg body wt), metronidazole (60 mg/kg body wt), and dimetridazole (50 mg/kg body wt, PO; or in the drinking water at 0.05% for 5–6 days).

Trichomonosis - Poultry - Merck Veterinary Manual​

Hi I'm Dana. Pretty sure I've used this page before but my bantam hen I think got into a fight with one of my other hens. She lost a lot of feathers and her eye is shut. She won't open it. It looks a little sunk in as well. She won't eat or drink. And when I tried a few drops of water from a syringe she acted as though it hurt to swallow, even though I can find no injuries to her neck. She's been keeping her beak cracked open and won't really close it much. She's also got this brown sticky stuff in her beak. I'm not sure what it is but I've been trying to keep it cleaned out of her mouth. She's not very lovely but will walk around slowly some. She's usually one f my liveliest hens. She's been sleeping a lot. I have no idea what to do so any help is welcomed.
Please post some picture of her, so we can actually see what you are trying to describe, and get a better idea of how to help her.

I was just looking at the picture of the hen: Could the "brown stuff" be blood? Sometimes their tongue can get injured when fighting and then swells up, making the act of swallowing very painful.

You could open her beak to get a better look at the inside of her mouth and assess the damage.

In the meantime I would feed/syringe her egg yolk with vitamins and electrolytes, mixed with some oregano tee to help getting the swelling down.

Back
Top Bottom