HELP!!!!!!!! Please:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saline is easy to make, see below. If you can put it in an bottle with a gentle squirt, like a contact solution bottle or a new reusable ketchup/mustard dispenser, it helps to irrigate it more precisely.

Stovetop method​

1. Boil 2 cups of water covered for 15 minutes.
  2. Allow to cool to room temperature.
  3. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
  4. Add 1 pinch of baking soda (optional).
  5. Stir until dissolved.
  6. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. (After that, it should be discarded.)
  7. Let cool to room temp before using.
You'll need to clean the wound, I'm sorry but you should wake her up, if this was rats, they are nasty and carry disease. Trim the feathers around the wound, check for any other wounds, clean them and cover with triple antibiotic cream.

Saline is easy to make, see below. If you can put it in an bottle with a gentle squirt, like a contact solution bottle or a new reusable ketchup/mustard dispenser, it helps to irrigate it more precisely.
okay good to know
Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. (After that, it should be discarded.)
discard the container???

Here’s what I did when I found pigeons with holes in their crops: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-with-hole-in-its-crop.1520912/. Superglue may not work for a larger hole. If the crop forms a food “plug” then that can keep food and water from spilling out of the crop as she heals. Crop injuries heal pretty fast unless the tissue starts dying. The main problem is keeping the bird from starvation/dehydration.

Here’s what I did when I found pigeons with holes in their crops: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-with-hole-in-its-crop.1520912/. Superglue may not work for a larger hole. If the crop forms a food “plug” then that can keep food and water from spilling out of the crop as she heals. Crop injuries heal pretty fast unless the tissue starts dying. The main problem is keeping the bird from starvation/dehydration.
esh okay i will read it

This bird need to be separated from the flock so the others don't peck her chest or she could get fly strike being outside. I've read others have sewn the crop shut with these types of injuries but I can't advise you on how to do that. Honestly if you don't have space or time to bring her in and fix her up now, I'd suggest you cull her instead of making her suffer. The longer her wound sits open the less likely her crop will be savable, it's not supposed to be exposed to open air like this and as thin as the crop tissue is, dried tissue will be dead. At least bandage it up until someone comes with detailed instructions on how to close it.

Where in VA are you? This likely needs to be cleaned WELL and then sutured. Can you take pictures?
Echoing the others you need to wake her up. If sutures are going to work they need to happen right away before the wound edges start to die or they won't take. This bird needs your help NOW, not in the morning, or you need to euthanize it. It's not fair to just leave her to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom