Help please!

I’d very much love to see that. Ya, my kids only eat vanilla and strawberry so that’s why I ask. That would make for a great reunion today (or is it too early to put her back in the coop?).
Won't the flavored ones have sugar and salt, coloring, etc.?

Edited typo. Sorry I am in a car and the road is bumpy. Not driving though, don't worry!

Won't the flavored ones have sugar and salt, coloring, etc.?

Edited typo. Sorry I am in a car and the road is bumpy. Not driving though, don't worry!
Yes they do, but sometimes ya just gotta go with what is available, plus it's not like you're feeding a gallon of it. Unflavored & no sugar, salt or coloring is best. Can't always get that, though.

Good info here. Didn’t think to do boiled rice. She did eat almost an entire boiled egg this morning quite happily. Any particular yogurt you would recommend?
Should I leave her isolated or let her back in with her flock, which is all of two other chickens? The other two are fine.

When reintroducing anyone that's been away, I will do so as long as I can hang out to make sure all is well, then check often. I might even reunite for a few hours at a time, Or reintroduce using a cage or a barrier, it just depends on how everyone acts. They can sometimes be a bit mean, if they're older. If she seems fine & is pecking around, getting along with everyone, it's good. If she isolates & puffs up staying alone or if others peck & back her into a corner, constantly bully her, it's not good. A few pecks with a peck back, then resume dustbathing or normal milling about, is what we all hope to see. I know that doesn't give you an exact answer, but the time frame is going to be different for every scenario, And reuniting someone That's been separated will also sometimes be a totally different scenario. A long separation sometimes is more difficult, because the pecking order has been disturbed, and must be reastablished. I've only had one hen, 3 yrs old, that got bullied so badly she would cower in a corner, and I had to totally remove her from that group, and introduce her to a different group of chickens that were gentle. Most of the time though, if the separation time has been short, and they're still fairly young all will go well. I've reintroduced young ones with me bearing gifts of meal worms and everything went fine, they were so focused on treats they didn't even care about anything else. I hung a cabbage up to keep them occupied, too. I've also reintroduced, sticking the chicken on the perch at night so when they woke up, it was as if they'd never been separated...but of course they ready knew eachother. Introducing a totally new hen, I use a cage or barrier for a few days. As young as yours are, & since they already know eachother, it should probably go easy.
Thank you. I wasn’t sure with her poop still off a bit. She seems eager to get back to her norm.

So there are just the other 2? She will want to be with them. Just watch them for a bit to observe behavior. She will feel better, probably be encouraged to eat along with them. Whenever a hen sees another hen pecking something they automatically figure it must be good and join in. It's cold out but hopefully you have some sunshine there. I can tell you it's cold and windy here, but even so, the sunshine has inspired several of my hens to take dust baths together. That's always a good sign. 👍

A dustbathing, preening & eating hen is a happy hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom