HELP please!

dottie15

Chirping
May 18, 2022
I was washing and checking on my rooster Dottie today and noticed a good amount of what I assume is lice. Any home remedies out there that anyone would recommend? Or any remedies at all? Besides Dottie, I have one other hen. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 28
I see what looks like lice here. As Folly's place said permethrin is your best bet. Home remedies don't really work that well on parasites and you don't want your rooster to have to suffer from them any longer than necessary.

1685836062462.png

I see what looks like lice here. As Folly's place said permethrin is your best bet. Home remedies don't really work that well on parasites and you don't want your rooster to have to suffer from them any longer than necessary.

View attachment 3528070
Thank you! Should I pour some in a spray bottle and spray directly to his scalp? And for the dust version, should I layer it all over his coop and the dirt he’s in? It’s a front and back yard that he free ranges in a few hours throughout the day.

You will need to treat all your birds, and the coop. Twice, ten days apart, and keep alert for recurrances, because the lice or mites come from wild songbirds.
Mary
Thank you! Do I dust my chickens in the permethrin? Or is a spray better? Also, how would I treat the yard they free range in?

Thank you! Do I dust my chickens in the permethrin? Or is a spray better? Also, how would I treat the yard they free range in?
They both work equally well, used properly, the spray is probably a little easier to apply. Make sure you get it down on the skin where the nasty little buggers are crawling around, especially under the wings and around the vent.

The spray concentrate, if it's available, is way less expensive, and i think easier to use.
Wear at least a N95 face mask and long pants and long sleeves! We do the birds at night while they are roosting, with a small flashlight or head lamp.
Mary

The spray concentrate, if it's available, is way less expensive, and i think easier to use.
Wear at least a N95 face mask and long pants and long sleeves! We do the birds at night while they are roosting, with a small flashlight or head lamp.
Mary
These are the products I purchased, along with food grade diatomaceous earth. My plan is to apply a good layer of the poultry dust to my chickens, coop, and yard. I was also planning on dusting the diatomaceous earth throughout the yard and a little throughout the coop and the dust bathe area. I was also thinking of using the poultry spray in between treatments and cleanings and to spray in all of the nooks and crannies of the coop and nesting area. But before all of that, I plan to take everything out completely, scrub the walls and roosting bars, allow to dry, then apply all of the dust and spray. How does all of this sound?

Attachments

• IMG_5430.png
    IMG_5430.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5431.png
    IMG_5431.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom