HELP please!

dottie15

Chirping
May 18, 2022
I was washing and checking on my rooster Dottie today and noticed a good amount of what I assume is lice. Any home remedies out there that anyone would recommend? Or any remedies at all? Besides Dottie, I have one other hen. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 28
I see what looks like lice here. As Folly's place said permethrin is your best bet. Home remedies don't really work that well on parasites and you don't want your rooster to have to suffer from them any longer than necessary.

1685836062462.png

Thank you! Do I dust my chickens in the permethrin? Or is a spray better? Also, how would I treat the yard they free range in?
They both work equally well, used properly, the spray is probably a little easier to apply. Make sure you get it down on the skin where the nasty little buggers are crawling around, especially under the wings and around the vent.

The spray concentrate, if it's available, is way less expensive, and i think easier to use.
Wear at least a N95 face mask and long pants and long sleeves! We do the birds at night while they are roosting, with a small flashlight or head lamp.
Mary

I see what looks like lice here. As Folly's place said permethrin is your best bet. Home remedies don't really work that well on parasites and you don't want your rooster to have to suffer from them any longer than necessary.

View attachment 3528070
Thank you! Should I pour some in a spray bottle and spray directly to his scalp? And for the dust version, should I layer it all over his coop and the dirt he’s in? It’s a front and back yard that he free ranges in a few hours throughout the day.

Return the DE and the Poultry Protector, and keep the permethrin dust. And don't use an insecticide in your yard, it will kill all the 'good bugs' and insects too.
Here we can get Gordon's permethrin concentrate spray at TSC, that's the spray I mentioned.
Mary

Permethrin toxicity, like so many things, is dose related. Cats can't handle much at all, so here we don't have cats in the coop or concrete run until it's all dry. Dogs and humans are more tolerant, as are the chickens. Mixing it at the correct concentration is essential!
Everything is toxic at the wrong concentration!
And DE is ineffective unless totally dry, and is a real lung irritant. Who needs that?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom