Help Please!

Apr 7, 2023
Hello all...I just noticed my rooster has a red behind...used a q-tip to seeing anything comes off and nothing did... sprayed with Vetrycin. Any ideas and help will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_59304325-44a9-43e8-8a0b-6861647123cf.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_59304325-44a9-43e8-8a0b-6861647123cf.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240513_180303.jpg
    20240513_180303.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Then hens may be plucking his feathers so the redness of his bum is a bit more noticeable.

I have no "scientific" proof, but pretty much all the roosters I've ever had showed red under the vent like that along with a red streak down the side of the leg when hormones were high - usually spring and mating season.

The skin doesn't look raw or angry, but if you wish, apply some NuStock cream on the bald area to see if that helps deter picking. It may or may not.

Roosters are weird and often will allow hens to pick or pluck on them - probably liking the attention. I once had a rooster that had a tiny scab on his comb, cut it on fencing. The hens picked at the scab, he let them, the wound kept getting bigger and the hens kept working on that comb. I finally had to separate him out, let the comb heal completely before putting him back or I think the hens would have eventually picked his comb right off.

Then hens may be plucking his feathers so the redness of his bum is a bit more noticeable.

I have no "scientific" proof, but pretty much all the roosters I've ever had showed red under the vent like that along with a red streak down the side of the leg when hormones were high - usually spring and mating season.

The skin doesn't look raw or angry, but if you wish, apply some NuStock cream on the bald area to see if that helps deter picking. It may or may not.

Roosters are weird and often will allow hens to pick or pluck on them - probably liking the attention. I once had a rooster that had a tiny scab on his comb, cut it on fencing. The hens picked at the scab, he let them, the wound kept getting bigger and the hens kept working on that comb. I finally had to separate him out, let the comb heal completely before putting him back or I think the hens would have eventually picked his comb right off.
Poor thing...and TY. He does have red on his legs, I had read it's hormones raging, and we have had to remitted his behavior.... I was thinking it was hormone related as well, but I'm still a novice at the chicken world. I appreciate your time and help...THANK you!

Back
Top Bottom