help please

so since he cant be re homed i guess ill keep him but do you guys think its wrong to keep him caged up like he is? Its a 10x10 dog run and he has a pool in there. If i keep him this will be the only way i can.

Quote:
Sounds large enough for one duck, but does he have a shelter to go in for prtection from the elements and predators? and maybe once in a while you can rotate and let him have some time outside too, with the others put up.

It has a little house and there is a roof on it so nothing can get in and i just let him out for about 10mins to try the upside down thing and it did nothing. As soon as i put him back down he went for the babies. I did it about 3 times and finally just put him back up. I can give him his free time everyday as long as i watch him. The yard itself is about half an acre

Quote:
then if you intend to keep him just do as you have planned, keep him separate from the rest and give him some time outside with just you. How old is he? sometimes as they mature they settle down some.

hes about a year or a little less. I wont get rid of him because im afraid of what someone will do to him. I still care about him a lot and i will put up with him i guess. My friends tell me to throw him in the ditch or drop him off at the duck pond but I WILL NOT DO SUCH A THING. I know he would kill other ducks at the pond and i do not want him to die. Hes been my baby up until the past week. Hopefully he will be my baby again someday when hes ready

Jasper and I have been outside for the past 30mins and he seems to be doing better now that its dark out. He is with momma duck, the other drake and the two baby ducks that are about 1-2 weeks. He hasnt really chased them too much but when he does he just picks the baby up for a second and drops it. Momma duck does step in and help when he does this. Should i leave him with them for the night and see what happens or should i pin him back up?

I would not leave him with the little ones yet. I don't let my little ducks out with the grown ups (except their mother) until they are nearly full size, usually at least 4 weeks, but more often 6 weeks. Be patient, protect your babies. What you do have going for you is his age - he's a teenager and may well settle down some. However, he's going to be a real pain next spring during breeding season. Be prepared. If he gets along well with one of the girls, you could give him a girlfriend in his pen, then he'd be quite happy. I wouldn't hatch eggs from him though, temperament is pretty hereditary and you don't want to be breeding for aggressive ducks! So, if he breeds a duck, she could have his babies for 3 weeks after! Duck sperm live a long time in the girls.

I'm glad you have a pen for him. Good luck!

i let him stay out for two hours tonight. he was a little aggressive but better then he has been. i think it was due to it being dark outside. I did go out and pin him up for the night and i will give him his free time tomorrow while i can watch him. The babies i have now are from him and my other drake but all babies came out looking like the aggressive drake "jasper" One baby even got his crest but looks like a black swedish. either way they are really cute but i will not breed him again. Thanks for the help everyone

I just want to say that I am impressed by your desire to keep this guy and keep him safe from a nasty life/end by rehoming him and keeping your others ones safe. I think if you can give him the life you are now, by being in the pen alone, where he can see and hear the other ducks, but not hurt them, you are doing best by him. If he can get out for a bit daily to wander around, just to break up the boredom of the day, that is really good.
I would have to do the same as you are, I could not cull one of mine or send them off for an uncertain future. You are very caring and responsible.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom