help please

mogrl840

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Yuma AZ
Ok i first started off with Jasper one of my male ducks. then i thought he was lonely so i got two more, ended up being 1 female and 1 male. At first he was mean to the babies but after awhile they became a family. I later tried to get 3 more females due to me having 2 males with 1 female. I slowly let them meet thru a fence. well after 1-2 months of trying and Jasper almost killing one I had to get rid of the 3 new ducks. Now Jasper and his family laid eggs and had babies. He will not let momma hatch them. Once they hatch he kills them. I put him in a dog run so she could do her job but now shes refusing to sit on her nest and finish. I ended up taking the eggs inside due to her never returning to her nest and the weather. I have hatched 3 babies and they are doing great. I tried to introduce her to the babies i hatch inside but the two older ones she had are mean. Momma duck is kinda mean too. Doesn't want anything to do with them and the babies want me. My question i guess is what do i do with the baby ducks i have been taking care of? And what do i do with daddy duck? Will he ever be nice? I have a feeling i need to re home him
sad.png
I don't want to have him in a cage his whole life but I have a feeling he will be mean to any other ducks around. Whats his problem?

Last edited:
I literally about an hr. A go got up from the table from eating Duck L'Orange. Any more questions re: Daddy duck?

Jasper is a very agressive duck, as you explained. Does the other drake mate with the female? Is she okay? Many ducks lack good mothering instincts, so I would not let her hatch any more.

they both mated with her and she was fine with the eggs and made a nest just fine. she wanted nothing to do with the drakes. but i had to move and couldnt leave her behind so i did have to move her and the eggs. it was wen i did this she stopped being a mother and wanted back with the drakes. I know it was my fault for messing with the eggs but i couldnt just leave them. IDK what to do with him. he has been my baby and even lived inside with me. used to get on my bed and watch tv. idk what is goin on with him but he is very aggressive. will even attack strangers wen they enter the yard. Iv found my friends hanging on to the fence cuz he was chasing them bittin at them.

Have you read the topics about turning the drake on his back for several minutes to get him to cool his jets? You may want to think about some kind of tactic like that. Perhaps you can pm Duckyfromoz - she's done it, and I think Wifezilla has done it, too.

Some people resolve to just cull the drake. But he's your sweetie - or he used to be - and I can see you may want to try most anything else.

See if a search of topics about "aggressive drake" or "dominant drake" might give you some ideas.

hugs.gif

And yeah, life happens and we have to move our broodies some times and change their routines or their feed or . . . . and ducks don't always adjust as well as we'd like them to.

I pray you find a way to get Jasper with the program so everyone can be happy.

I have tried about everything. keeping him by himself for a few hours to days at a time. I have spanked him LOL =/ Grabbed his bill till he was calm. Held him and carried him around under my arm. Stump my feet. The water hose. He striped one of the females feather till she was bleeding. Kill one baby and wants nothing to do with me anymore. He wont bite me or anything. He still eats out of my hand. Hes mean to the other drake and wont let him eat. today i was watching him around the babies and other ducks and all he wanted to do is mate, fight and kill babies. So i put him but up immediately. He will bolt and charge the babies, swinging them by their heads or body parts. Iv never seen a duck so mean.

Last edited:
I would agree with trying to turn the drake on his back for several minutes to get him to cool his jets. Not sure what else to try though. Good Luck!

ill try but i don't think its going to do anything since im not there all the time to do this. Ill have to sit outside on my day off and work with him the whole day. i dont want to get rid of him but i want my babies. Hes the only problem out of my 7 ducks

To be honest, I'd cull him. He is not a normal drake, I've never had one that nasty, though I did cull one that fought with the other drakes and drew blood. I won't have that and I won't breed it. I know that sounds hard, but he's making your life miserable and killing your other pets. You can't really re-home him, because he's going to be a problem there too.

I wouldn't take any weight over that - like to say that you did something wrong with him. Some drakes are just mean by nature. Most of them are fine, some are really enjoyable to be around. I have a pen full of drakes that all get along just fine. I do keep babies away from adults (except their mothers, if they are brooded by the mother) until they are 4-6 weeks old and then they can go out in the big yard during the day with everyone, where they have room to stay away from the bigger ducks.

You had to move the mother, she probably responded as if she'd lost her clutch, so, to her, those ducklings are not hers. Mine don't usually take ducklings unless they hatch them, except Peaches the Saxony that would mother pretty much ANYTHING. I keep her daughters.
smile.png
So, you will need to keep the babies separate for a few weeks, then introduce them in the most neutral space you have for a few hours at a time. When everyone seems calm about it, then they can join the flock.

thanks so much for all the replys guys. it helps a lot. I dont think theres much left to do but im giving it my all. I have the 3 little ducklings inside that i hatched just to be safe. i dont wanna wake up to dead babies. After they are big enough ill put them in a big pin and slowly start letting them meet. Momma is doin as good as she can for what she has been thru and my pekin drake is being good too. They all lay by the pin that jasper is in so maybe they will come to terms soon.

Back
Top Bottom