1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jennyworley35, Sep 12, 2012.

1. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Hi I need to know what should the temp be for my 2 day old chicks the brooder box is reading 95 but the two little chicks are huddled up in the corner last night they were moving around are they just sleeping?

2. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Sounds like they were just sleeping. Temps seem correct. They lower some each week. I have 2 week olds that run all over and hardly ever use the ecoglow 20 I have for them even when it is down to 54 outside. Good luck with your new chicks.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Let the chicks tell you what temperature they like. If they are huddling away from the heat, then raise the lamp a little cause they're hot. If they constantly huddle under the heat, then they're cold and it needs to be lowered a little.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I agree it sounds like they were sleeping. They will sleep together until they get much older as long as they are not trying to act like sardines in a can. Somewhat harder to tell with two. Also don't heat the whole brooder to 95, one end will suffice. A place to warm up is all that's needed.The other end can be much cooler to give room to be comfortable. A mother hen cold take her little ones out in the snow and they return to get under her when chilled.

5. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Thanks everybody this is my first time hatching chicks and I worry way to much lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by