Help Please

Mattlime

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Bostic, North Carolina
My chickens were attacked last night and they killed all but one and she is hurt really badly. I found her this morning and I cried. She was attacked by my cousins dogs and I am highly peed off...her leg is broken all the way and there is no hope of it being fixed and she is cut deeply on her back...I have doctored her up as best as I could and I am just so scared that she will not make it...She is a two year old Blue splash cochin and sweet as can be...I need help and I do not want her to die...I got her to eat and I shoved water down her throat...

I'm sorry to hear about your chickens. I would take her to the vet, but I know that is not always possible or financially feasible. A broken leg is not the end. Does the broken leg have blood flowing into the toes? It could heal all crocked or you could splint it. The cut on the back needs to be cleaned with warm water and then hydrogen peroxide. I would put her on poultry antibiotics ASAP that you can pick up quite cheap at your local farm supply store. I would bring her inside or in the garage in a crate with a heat lamp. Good luck I hope she pulls through.

I am a vet tech and I have cleaned it and put fist aid antibiotics on it and there is some blood running I have it semi splinted but she seems to be doing better. She cannot come inside because it is not allowed...I have her in a dog crate on our back porch and I could move her and plug in a chick lamp to keep her warmer.

She seems to be doing a lot better tonight...I moved her around on the back porch she can walk but lips and I feel horrible that she is like that...I have a 30 watt bulb on her in a metal dog cage on the back porch...she must feel better because she pecked at my cat and she has eaten and I hope she is drinking...I keep looking at her checking on her...my family could care less though...I am glad you guys are helping me :)

You are doing a good job looking after her. I know how hard it is as I am a chicken lover and it is hard when people would be more concerned if a plant died. Keep us posted.

She seems to be doing a lot better but the wombs are starting to smell horrible...I cleaned her wombs again with warm water and I cleaned her vent as well because she had a lot of poop back there...I can see that she is feeling a lot better she is eating not sure about drinking but she has it near her if she does want any...she did not mind the the bath or the fist aid antibiotics...I hope she will make it her leg is not any better she tries to walk and hobbles around...she would rather just lay there in the light...also i was wondering if you thought she might sit on some eggs since she is injured and really cannot move I thought about putting one or tow under her to see, but I did not want to if she would not stay on top of them...

She seems to be doing a lot better but the wombs are starting to smell horrible...I cleaned her wombs again with warm water and I cleaned her vent as well because she had a lot of poop back there...I can see that she is feeling a lot better she is eating not sure about drinking but she has it near her if she does want any...she did not mind the the bath or the fist aid antibiotics...I hope she will make it her leg is not any better she tries to walk and hobbles around...she would rather just lay there in the light...also i was wondering if you thought she might sit on some eggs since she is injured and really cannot move I thought about putting one or tow under her to see, but I did not want to if she would not stay on top of them...
I wouldn't put any eggs under her. Just keep her warm, fed and watered. You should also weigh her at least every other day and watch for weight loss.

I found another deep gash on her today...she did not mind me messing with her...but the smell almost made me sick...it has a yellow color to it and I cleaned it and out medicine on it...she seems to weigh the same as she did when I got her...I just needed to know if the smell and yellowing will lead to an infection or is it just healing...

Back
Top Bottom