help please!!

JordanBree

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
One of our new born chicks recently developed a bump around its beak, within a week it's developed numerous bumps on its beak and now it can't open it's eye and it won't eat, please help!

When I enlarge the picture, it looks like dirt, could you look closely to see if its mites especially on the head.

Last edited:
Try a magnifying glass to try to see if that is what they are. It just might be dirt. I am not sure what you can use on chicks because they are so small. Just need to rule that out. Where was the chick hatched.

If the bumps are from mites, in exotic birds, mineral oil applied smothers them, however, this may have nothing to do with mites.

You could give antibiotics. Has there been any contact with other chickens. I am concerned your dealing with a disease. Any other chicks affected.

Heres a thread that I found on here that may be helpful if it is mites your dealing with.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/500324/treating-lice-in-baby-chicks/0_100

Last edited:
Are those chicks outside? Are they with a broody hen or in a brooder? Is it bugs, fleas, or ant bites? They need to be brought inside if they are outside, and put on clean bedding. I would get some pyrethrin powder or liquid to treat them.

I have never seen anything like that. The bumps look inflammed and possibly infected inside, like pus pockets. I also don't like the blackened areas of tissue around the base of the beak. Bitten by poisonous spider maybe, other bug bites? No idea really.

Edited to add: Agree with Pwand, you might consider treating with antibiotic's, though the way that chick looks I don't think he's going to last long.

Last edited:
the chicks outside with it's mother, the mother is fine, we've tried oil, but nothing, we're thinking possibly bug bites, thank you all for your help

If there are any mites in the sores, the mineral oil would not work with one treatment, it would have to be done for a bit to see if there is any improvements. Unfortunately the black around the beak does not look very good for the chick.
The mother could have mites that are impossible to see and the chicks having them.

Back
Top Bottom