Help please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-love-me, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    I need help with a cage we were going to build an outdoor cage when the ground thaw out but now we don't want an outdoor cage. We had a little problem and had to move my ducks out of their cage. They are now in a small cage. (Not too small but not a per ament cage. ) the sides are planks of wood leaning against the things to keep the ducks in but we want to make a cage in the barn so we can't put a fence any ideas for a cage. I am very sorry to report that 4 of my ducks did not make it :*( a mink got in their cage bc a tree fell on part of the cage leaving a place for a monk to get in. I checked but not in time. I feel horrible and as if I should've checked but my neighbor said they were out this morning so it had just happened apparently. The 2 were moved away bc the mink would come back :( so anyway sorry to bore you with this long story but and ideas on a cage with a cement barn floor? Thx in advanced.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, so sad.[​IMG]

If no predators can get into the barn, you just need to have an area to keep the ducks in.

One of the quickest things would be a card table, then wrap fencing around the legs and secure them with zip ties. Leave one end of the fence not attached with zip ties, attach that with string or velcro wraps every few inches.

If there is some risk of predators, then I would make a box with four sheets of plywood - three solid sides and a top, and attach half inch metal hardware cloth across the open side. You would need to fashion a door on one of the plywood sides, making sure to be able to secure it to keep things out.

Actually I would have the hardware cloth not only go across the open side, but under the box also to keep something from nosing under the box.

Or attach the box to a solid platform like another sheet of plywood or a platform of boards with no gaps.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Okay there is barely any risk of predators but I don't want to risk it especially after what just happened so I guess I will probably do the second option.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So very sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]

5. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Thankyou :) it is very hard to lose animals. :( does anyone know how to tell gender? I thaught I had 1 girl 1 boy but there were 2 eggs today. I tried the voice test and it seems I have 1 boy 1 girl. My dad said they may have laid 2 bc they were scared. 1 had a very very soft shell so is it possible that 1 girl laid 2 eggs bc she was scared or no?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If one was soft shelled it very much could have been from the same duck. It's going to take a while for them to get over such a traumatic experience so be sure to keep them safe and secure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by