Help!!! poop stuck in 6 week old chicks vent!!

sdzenga

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 26, 2014
Cedartown, Ga
I've seen pasty butt before, but I don't think this is what's going on with my chick. He has been acting sick: feathers puffed up and not very active so we moved him inside to see if we could help. His feathers looked matted last night and dirty when we brought him in.The plan was to clean him up this evening. When I went to check on him he had a large amount of whitish mucus like poo hanging from his vent. When my husband put him in the tub he noticed that he has poop stuck inside his vent and the chick keeps trying to pass it. He has been soaking for a good 20 minutes and it's still not able to pass it. The dropping in his bin are normal. What can we do to help him?

I would give him some probiotic in his water, and I would take a little vegetable oil and moisten the inside of his vent with some of it on a QTip. He could be dehydrated and may need to drink more. Is he still in a brooder or is he outside in the coop? Cocciciosis may be a good possibility at his age. Corid (amprollium) would be treatment for that.

We have done all of the above, but he still can't pass any poo
1f615.png
He was in a coop with 2 other hatch mates and a 3 that are about a month older. No blood in his stool so just not sure. I've never felt with anything like this.

Guess I will wait and see how he's doing tomorrow.
Thank you for your reply.

Is his vent bulging out? He could be at risk for a prolapsed vent. You could try giving him a couple of drops of molasses, or a little applesauce that will act as a laxative. Just make sure he is getting fluids, and maybe put some warm water in a small amount of his chick crumbles. I hope you can help him.

Back
Top Bottom