HELP possible Angel wing!!

DisneyGal25

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2014
We have a two and a half month old female Cayuga that has a small cluster of feathers on her left wing sticking out away from her body. Is it possible to bind them? Would it help? She has been feed dumour duck food starter/grower from day one and now gets a bit of scratch with it and sometimes Layena. We also feed our ducks greens and peas.

Any helpful advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Side note: she's been raised with a female khaki Campbell and the KC is doing just fine. This is the 10th duck we've raised and had no issue with any of the others.

Last edited:
If it's angel wing, then it has probably been this way for most of her life, yes?

I think it needs to be wrapped while they are young, but a veterinarian (or more experienced angel wing duck person on the forum) may be able to inform both of us how this might work.

Cayugas are so very pretty!

We noticed it when she was about a month old. Our town has no vets that will see ducks :( hopefully someone can help....

We noticed it when she was about a month old. Our town has no vets that will see ducks
sad.png
hopefully someone can help....
I wonder if when she molts out her flight feathers if you were to wrap the wing then if the feathers would come in normal [just thinking out loud] I have no idea if it would actually happen. But here is a link to the thread on wrapping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial#post_8682154

Thank you Miss Lydia! Maybe we should wrap it.
If these feathers are old ones from last molt, I'd wait till she starts her molt this year, once all her flight feathers have fallen out and new pen feathers are coming in[catch it as soon as you see them] then wrap, It is worth trying.

If these feathers are old ones from last molt, I'd wait till she starts her molt this year, once all her flight feathers have fallen out and new pen feathers are coming in[catch it as soon as you see them] then wrap, It is worth trying.

Well she is only 2 1/2 months old so these are her feathers that came in when her down fell out. So it's her first batch of feathers.

Your original post says that she's 2.5 years old. Two and a half months is a whole other ball game. You should definitely try wrapping it now.

Back
Top Bottom