HELP!!! possible coccidiosis

irishlotfarms

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 17, 2014
so this is a pic
of my 21 week old Rhode Island Red rooster! I let my chickens out today, and I noticed this one looked really lethargic! So I followed it around until it went to the bathroom and I inspected the poop and it looked like coccidiosis(white mucusy diahrea)! so I was researching it, and one of the symptoms was that the feathers would be fluffed up, and it would not want to eat! well my rooster is eating just fine! so what is this? I have 20 chickens one about 3 acres, and we feed them 1/4 pound of feed a day so they are eating right!

so this is a pic
of my 21 week old Rhode Island Red rooster! I let my chickens out today, and I noticed this one looked really lethargic! So I followed it around until it went to the bathroom and I inspected the poop and it looked like coccidiosis(white mucusy diahrea)! so I was researching it, and one of the symptoms was that the feathers would be fluffed up, and it would not want to eat! well my rooster is eating just fine! so what is this? I have 20 chickens one about 3 acres, and we feed them 1/4 pound of feed a day so they are eating right!

Do you put anything in the water ????????

What kinds of feed do you give him ???

Do you have any photos of his face with eyes showing ???

No I dont I just use fresh water from the hose I do clean it daily.
I use standard southern states pelleted layer feed.
unfortunately he is playing"hard to get" but I looked at his eyes everything is fine there but his comb is flopped over!
if it is worms how should I treat it???

Feed sounds good ...

Try some Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and see is that perks him up and you say he can avoid ya will he sounds good and his eyes are clear and when you do pick him up no drooling from the beak sounds strong but lacking symptoms of coccidiosis for now may be some dehydration and it is wise to worm your pets once a year and you will be able to find the medicine at the animal feed store as I do not know what is around you like a tractor supply store ...

You might want to have some Duramycin on hand in the chicken medical supply for just incase as it is a antibiotic, always good to have on hand ....

And just to check him out a really chicken wont eat a mashed up hard boiled egg shell removed before mashing ....... The egg is like a light meds and will give him back many vitamins and minerals ....

Our chicks having hard boiled egg's for breakfast ....... and if you put in a little bit of yogurt even better just to clear him out might have eaten something that is not agreeing with him ....

thanks so much for the help! I will buy duramycin! I will do the apple cider vinegar and hard boiled eggs and yogurt! your chickens are AMAZING!! I was thinking the reason he is small is because he has small parents!

Your RIR looks a little on the thin side to me, but it could just be the angle of the photo. If it is cocci, you'll need to act fast, as it can wipe out a whole flock in very little time. Personally, I use amprolium powder mixed in with their water supply for 5 - 7 days. Any local feed store will usually have it in stock. It kills the protozoa that causes the diarrhea. Whenever I have chicks with loose stools and lethargy without any other signs or symptoms of disease and, I even remotely suspect cocci, I'll treat with Amprol first and then follow up with a good all around de-wormer, if I think it's necessary. It won't hurt them to get it even if it turns out to not be cocci. But then again, when given the choice, I'll usually err on the side of caution. I hope this was helpful and didn't just confuse you more!Good luck.

Your RIR looks a little on the thin side to me, but it could just be the angle of the photo. If it is cocci, you'll need to act fast, as it can wipe out a whole flock in very little time. Personally, I use amprolium powder mixed in with their water supply for 5 - 7 days. Any local feed store will usually have it in stock. It kills the protozoa that causes the diarrhea. Whenever I have chicks with loose stools and lethargy without any other signs or symptoms of disease and, I even remotely suspect cocci, I'll treat with Amprol first and then follow up with a good all around de-wormer, if I think it's necessary. It won't hurt them to get it even if it turns out to not be cocci. But then again, when given the choice, I'll usually err on the side of caution. I hope this was helpful and didn't just confuse you more!Good luck.

Do you use the amprolium for coccidiosis? Do you treat routinely for coccidiosis?

I would not treat him with Duramycin--Gander007 just mentioned to keep some on the shelf, and is not used for treating an outbreak of cocci. If you think he may have coccidiosis, then use Corid (amprollium) as Mightymax recommended. It is not an antibiotic, and giving it to him if he doesn't have cocci will not harm him. I would also give him 1/2 ml of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen to worm him, then repeat it in 10 days. Most chickens his age have already been exposed to cocci in the soil, and have built up some immunity, but if they are new to your soil, or exposed to other chickens, they may get a new strain of cocci they aren't immune to yet. Two strains cause blood in the stools, but the others don't. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Back
Top Bottom