Help, possibly a prolapse but I’m not sure what to do

Set it in part of a shell then upright in a cup. Keep it warm.. this will help keep it still and allow it to absorb the rest. If it dries you can cut it off but kot before it's completely dry
He’s leaking greens and browns

I have never dealt with this, but my instincts say to keep the chick warm and keep the immediate environment moist or very humid, like an incubator, so the sac assembly doesn't dry out. If you have to, spray warm saline on it to moisten it.

Other than that, any intervention is probably futile and even counterproductive. It will either retract over the next 24 to 48 hours or the chick will probably die.

Pictures included: First brood of the year, went out this morning to find this baby and I’m not sure how to help, if it’s nothing to worry about or if it’s futile. Possibly a prolapse? Baby is very talkative and is just trying to get warm on the heating pad because mama won’t sit anymore since her other babies are up walking
That's an unabsorbed yolk sack. Put the chick in a cup lined with paper towel, in the incubator? This will allow the chick to finish absorbing the yolk with a 24hr period. Possibly less then 24hrs.

Then it has ruptured, which isn't good.
X2... do as said. Put it in a cup. If you still have the shell you can stick it's butt in the shell then in the cup which is the ideal way to do it.. make sure the cup is high enough so the chick can't wiggle out.. keep it warm my incubator will fit a regular coffee cup with a chick in it just fine. I have had this a few times. Don't mess with it, just do the above and leave it for at least 8 hours check it, if no changes keep it there for longer. It will absobe most of it the rest WILL. Dry and fall off withing a week sometime a little longer.. the more you mess with it the higher risk of infection, and death.

I have never dealt with this, but my instincts say to keep the chick warm and keep the immediate environment moist or very humid, like an incubator, so the sac assembly doesn't dry out. If you have to, spray warm saline on it to moisten it.

Other than that, any intervention is probably futile and even counterproductive. It will either retract over the next 24 to 48 hours or the chick will probably die.
I agree with you on this, thank you so much for helping me

X2... do as said. Put it in a cup. If you still have the shell you can stick it's butt in the shell then in the cup which is the ideal way to do it.. make sure the cup is high enough so the chick can't wiggle out.. keep it warm my incubator will fit a regular coffee cup with a chick in it just fine. I have had this a few times. Don't mess with it, just do the above and leave it for at least 8 hours check it, if no changes keep it there for longer. It will absobe most of it the rest WILL. Dry and fall off withing a week sometime a little longer.. the more you mess with it the higher risk of infection, and death.
Thank you for helping me, he is still chirping surprisingly and i hope it will work for him

Thank you for helping me, he is still chirping surprisingly and i hope it will work for him
Fingers crossed... it has helped everyone I have done it. By tomorrow you should be able to let it out of the cup. Either close to the others or maybe separate with a friend. If said friend wond peck at the drying leftovers. There more than likely will be. You can wait for it to fall completely off or cut it short but not completely close to its bottom.. sounds like your little one will be just fine

Back
Top Bottom