Help!! Problem with my Welsummer Chicks

OBnurse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
North Western Wisconsin
We have lost a chick a day for the past 5 days. They are about 7 days old now. My husband noticed that each chick that dies has black little spots on the bottom of its feet after it has died. Wonder if this is a disease or problem that we can fix or prevent from happening to more chicks.

Also, I have one chick now that is a runt. He was being picked on by all the other chicks so I put him in his own box for a while to see if that helps. The chick seems extremely lethargic and uncoordinated. I have been encouraging it to eat and drink. Do you think there is any chance that this chick will live? I have to say this one was my favorite. It always falls asleep when I stoke its head or back.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

So sorry this is happening, first can you tell us about their living conditions, what they eat, what kind of bedding/ how many chicks do you have and what you have been doing so far?

Well, we are new at chicken raising. We have them in our chicken coop that my husband just built. There at 17 chicks right now and they are in a kiddie pool with pine shavings that we change at least daily. We have two brooder lamps on them since it is still getting into the 30's here at night. We have vitamin/electrolyte solution for their water which we also change at least daily. Their food is I believe Naturewise I believe it is starter feed for chicks. We have been trying to handle the chicks often so they are used to us and easy to handle later. Not sure if I am missing anything. Does this help??

Where did you get your chicks? and what breed are they? I have been trying to find out some info about the blk spots but haven't been able to come up with anything. maybe just us going back and forth will bring someone else into the post that will have more knowledge than me. It sounds like you have done everything right. Have they been in the coop from the beginning? and what kind of wood did you use to build it? just trying to get all info that could help. Do you know what temp your brooder is at at all times? it should be at 90* if they are a week old. starts out at 95 and drops 5 degrees each week.

Could it be some type of starve out? Did you put shavings in right away or start on paper towelish surface first for a couple days? (sometimes they eat them when they are very little and can't process them) I hope the rest end up ok. Hugs.

Well we don't have a thermometer. And I wish we did! It fluctuates so much in temps lately (50-60 during the day and 30's at night) it is hard to regulate. We live quite a ways from town though. So it will be a little while before I can buy a thermometer. I dont know what type of wood my husband used to build the coop. I believe the typical 2x4's and plywood. The rest seem to be doing fine today. They have been very active and spunky with the exception of the lethargic runt I like to call Chicken Little that I have in its own box. But really even Chicken Little is a little better. It is much more steady and is now eating and drinking more!! So that is good too!
smile.png

We got the chicks from Meyer Hatchery. They are sending us 10 more next week too. I am really hoping we dont lose any more!

I am hoping right along with you, I would try to get a thermometer before the next get here, and sometimes just the stress of shipping can cause some not to make it, if you can get a product called gro gel, I know some hatcheries will put it in the shipping box with the chicks if you ask for it. It is suppose to really help. also be sure to give them electrolytes when they first arrive. The reason I asked about what type of wood was because of the oils in certain woods can really hurt chickens when they breathe in the fumes from it. But I am very glad to hear they are doing much better. and that Chicken Little is too. And remember your chicks you have now could hurt your new little ones so be aware if you intend to keep them together, Please keep us updated and all the best to you and your chicks.
p.s. you probably know all of this but heres a link to read.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-first60days.html

Last edited:
Quote:
So Chicken Little died yesterday, right before I had to leave for work.
sad.png

I still had him in his own little box, and I thought he was doing so much better! He was eating and drinking more. Still a little unsteady, but it really surprised me to find him dead. It was kind of hard for me because he was so sweet and easy to handle. We buried him by the crab apple tree.

The rest look really good though! Got a thermometer yesterday too.

Do they sleep under the heat lamps? that's pretty cold at night (if you're talking F not C) Black spots on feet and combs is usually frostbite and at the age they are they would be really sensitive. A kiddie pool is pretty big so I would be a little concerned that they can find their way to the lamps (what wattage are they?). Most people keep the chicks indoors until they are feathered, I didn't move mine into their coop until they were 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom