HELP PROLAPSED HEN ALSO EGG BOUND

Oh good. Give her some human calcium 1/2 tablet or 1/2 a Tums if you have any. You could also grind up a whole egg shell, and mix it with a little cooked egg. Repeat the next couple of days. Here is a good link about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
1581802500438.jpeg

Not everyone does it, but you can stop her from laying eggs temporarily to heal. It takes several days since eggs are always in production, but if you keep her in a dark room or dark cage for 16 hours each night, she will stop laying. The other 8 hours a day can be spent up walking around and eating and drinking. Chickens require 12 hours a day of light to keep laying. Once she stops laying, she could start laying again in a week or two.

I’ve been trying to help her but whenever I push it back inside it pops right back out I’ve tried honey sugar holding her upsidown. I don’t know what to do anymore.

I’ve been trying to help her but whenever I push it back inside it pops right back out I’ve tried honey sugar holding her upsidown. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Next time you clean her up, can you post some photos of what it looks like now?
Sometimes it can day several days for the swelling to reduce enough for the tissue to stay inside. In the meantime, keep the tissue moist.

Is she able to poop some?

I know that this hasn't really been mentioned, but I'm sure it's crossed your mind. Sometimes a prolapse is so bad or there is damage and it cannot be fixed and the hen has to be put down. It can be sad, but this is something you need to be aware of.

This is it right now, she is able to poop a little right now. But i’m not sure if I we should put her to sleep or not because it’s gotten worse and won’t stay in, Also she’s just sitting there crouched over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 9
This is it right now, she is able to poop a little right now. But i’m not sure if I we should put her to sleep or not because it’s gotten worse and won’t stay in, Also she’s just sitting there crouched over.
Poor thing :hugs

No one can make the decision to put them down but you and your parents. What do they think?

You are doing a good job taking care of her. Is she drinking?

Yes she’s been drinking, her water is supplemented. My mom told me awhile ago that she doses’t think she will make it.

Yes she’s been drinking, her water is supplemented. My mom told me awhile ago that she doses’t think she will make it.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I've had to put a hen down before that had a really bad, damaged prolapse, it's no fun to have to go through this.
Sometimes a chicken will surprise you and pull through, so just keep treating her the best you can until you and your family make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom