HELP PROLAPSED HEN ALSO EGG BOUND

Bear and Dart

Songster
Feb 15, 2020
Our chicken is about 8 months old, she is a Easter Egger and Cuckoo Maran mix. She has been prolapsed for about 2 days and we've been putting it back in. I'm only a teenager and my parents aren't home and won't be for awhile and she is trying to push an egg out and can"t. What should I do to help her?

Hi @Bear and Dart Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry no one has replied. How is your hen?

When are your parents coming back home - is seeing a vet an option?

The prolapse is quite large with the egg pushing out. Can you see the opening and try to help push/pull the egg out without pulling the exposed tissue further out?
Try to keep the exposed tissue moist with an ointment, oil or honey - just something to keep it from drying out (Preparation H , coconut oil, honey, vaseline, etc.)

Let us know how she is.
I also recommend that you watch this video, you may find it helpful.

If she is still prolapsed, just keep lubricating the red tissue as long as it is outside the body. Once a day soak her in warm soapy water and dry her off, to keep the vent area clean. Then lube her with coconut oil, hydrocortisone cream, vegetable oil, or oil of choice. Keep her separated in a dog crate because the others will peck at the prolapse. They usually will stay in after a few days. Rarely, the prolapse can worsen, and she might need to be put down. Good luck.

Oh good. Give her some human calcium 1/2 tablet or 1/2 a Tums if you have any. You could also grind up a whole egg shell, and mix it with a little cooked egg. Repeat the next couple of days. Here is a good link about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
1581802500438.jpeg

Chickens can be extremely resilient. I haven't had this problem, and couldn't find an article on it, but there are several success stories in these forums including this one. It can take several days of re-positioning it, using lube to keep it from drying out.
Meanwhile, try to figure out if there is an underlying cause, like calcium deficiency. Good luck with your hen.:fl I'm so glad you helped her with the egg.:hugs

I’ve been trying to help her but whenever I push it back inside it pops right back out I’ve tried honey sugar holding her upsidown. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Next time you clean her up, can you post some photos of what it looks like now?
Sometimes it can day several days for the swelling to reduce enough for the tissue to stay inside. In the meantime, keep the tissue moist.

Is she able to poop some?

I know that this hasn't really been mentioned, but I'm sure it's crossed your mind. Sometimes a prolapse is so bad or there is damage and it cannot be fixed and the hen has to be put down. It can be sad, but this is something you need to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom