Help! Hen Prolapse!

Some do give Meloxicam but I've never given it, do some research to see if it would be appropriate.

Poor girl, it looks like she may be trying to push out some material, whether it's shell, lash material or ?

I'd give her normal feed, wet or dry if she will eat it. Sometimes they don't want their feed, so try giving bits of egg, fish (sardines/mackerel), a bit of canned cat food, etc. You never know what might interest them.
Well this morning, she looks a little better. She's actually passing stuff that's more than just that leaky, gross egg material or whatever it is.
I did my daily routine of Epsom salt bath, antibiotic spray, preparation h and some olive oil. I also gave her a quarter of an antibiotic orally. She didn't seem to want the calcium citrate mix like she did yesterday but I left it out for her, mixed in with some sugar water. Hopefully she'll just randomly drink it as she's thirsty.
I was thinking of making a scrambled egg for her. She ate about half an egg when I last gave her some, like 2 days ago. I'll get some regular layer for her as well but I think I'm going to try mixing some water or electrolytes in it so it's mushier. Maybe that'll be more appealing to her that way. She also loves cheese and tuna. So if the egg doesn't appeal to her, I'll try tuna.
It seems like she gets better by a tiny bit and then the next day, doesn't seem as good. And she has been basically following that pattern for the last few days. Not sure what else I can really do. I may try taking her to the vet but considering I have antibiotics and other meds, I am unsure if it really makes sense to do that. And it being Saturday, I can't really afford to go to an emergency vet.
Thank you for the advice.

Give her the Calcium tablet orally, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow it, this way you aren't relying on her to drink enough or eat it on her own. Calcium is important to get into the system when they have a prolapse or some type of reproductive problem.

You're giving an antibiotic, what are you giving and the dose?

Work on her drinking, then see if she will eat.

Give her the Calcium tablet orally, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow it, this way you aren't relying on her to drink enough or eat it on her own. Calcium is important to get into the system when they have a prolapse or some type of reproductive problem.

You're giving an antibiotic, what are you giving and the dose?

Work on her drinking, then see if she will eat.
I've been giving the antibiotics orally. She just fights so bad lol. I guess that's good that she's got fight left in her. But I definitely will start giving her the calcium orally. I have been giving her SMZ antibiotic, basically just a quarter of one. I'm basing it off the label for how much. Three quarters of a table was prescribed for a big rooster and she's a bantam and probably doesn't even weigh 5lbs right now. I just looked and it says 480mg. If you think a higher dose would be better, let me know, if you can. They're just big pills so, again, getting her to take them is difficult even broken up.
If I struggle to get her to drink, how much should she be getting using a syringe? I want to make her she's getting enough electrolytes and is hydrated, I just don't want to overdue it. Thanks again.

Sounds about right.

Encouraging them to drink on their own is best. Sometimes just changing up the type of water station you use can make a difference. Not sure what you are using, but try offering her water in a chick waterer if you have one or a bright colored cup.

Electrolytes are good, but some don't like the taste, so it that's the case, then give a bit of sugar water or just plain water - see what she likes the best.

If you find that you do need to syringe fluids into her I'd follow the recommendations in this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Again, it's best if they can do all this own their own.

P
Sounds about right.

Encouraging them to drink on their own is best. Sometimes just changing up the type of water station you use can make a difference. Not sure what you are using, but try offering her water in a chick waterer if you have one or a bright colored cup.

Electrolytes are good, but some don't like the taste, so it that's the case, then give a bit of sugar water or just plain water - see what she likes the best.

If you find that you do need to syringe fluids into her I'd follow the recommendations in this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Sounds about right.

Perfect, thank you. She hasn't really moved from the same spot since last night.
I'm going to be soaking her in Epsom salt again shortly. I'll offer her some different waters to see if one appeals to her more than the others. I just worry, since she's been in the same place for the last 12 hours or so.
I've been putting Rescue 911 in her water, so electrolytes, pre and pro biotics, oregano, among other things. She doesn't mind it but it isn't something she is excited about either. The sugar water she usually goes for pretty quickly, so I'll probably start with that.
I might try and offer her some Meloxicam, maybe it will help her be a little more comfortable, or lower the inflammation a little. Although it does seem to be getting smaller with what I've been doing. I'm somewhat worried about trying to push it back in again if she has egg or poop backed up in there. Is there a way to tell when it's best to attempt helping it in again?
If there's any other information about handling this, I appreciate any and all you've got. You've been very helpful and I appreciate the time you're taking out of your day to offer your help. Or if you need any information from me that could help, let me know.

Giving her a soaking if she's not lethargic is a good idea. They can enjoy that.
Once you give her a soaking and cleanup, you can try gently push the tissue in to see if it will. If this distresses her then stop.
If she's got crusty material and urates building up around the tissue and vent, sometimes coconut oil or mineral oil will help soften it up so it will start to loosen up. The urates can become quite hard along with the crusty stuff, usually there's healthy tissue underneath but if it's stuck on and you pull too hard, it will bleed. So, just keep working the oil onto the material daily or a couple of times a day. A lot of times when that crust falls off, the tissue will go back in easier.

You're doing good. Hang in there:hugs

Giving her a soaking if she's not lethargic is a good idea. They can enjoy that.
Once you give her a soaking and cleanup, you can try gently push the tissue in to see if it will. If this distresses her then stop.
If she's got crusty material and urates building up around the tissue and vent, sometimes coconut oil or mineral oil will help soften it up so it will start to loosen up. The urates can become quite hard along with the crusty stuff, usually there's healthy tissue underneath but if it's stuck on and you pull too hard, it will bleed. So, just keep working the oil onto the material daily or a couple of times a day. A lot of times when that crust falls off, the tissue will go back in easier.

You're doing good. Hang in there:hugs
Perfect. She seems to enjoy the soaking now. She hated it but I think that partially had to do with the temp not being as warm as she enjoys, because now that I've made the water a little warmer, she almost falls asleep.
I've been so worried to mess with it more than when cleaning and lubricating it. It is crusty in some spots but not terrible. I'll just keep at it, slowly. Make sure she's hydrated and as comfortable as possible.

I just wanted to update if anyone is still wondering how she's doing. So, she has gotten so much better. She laid a weird egg, I'll post a picture so you can see. Curious if anyone knows what would cause an egg to look like this.
The prolapse has fixed itself as well. I thought everything was basically back to normal and she just needed to get some weight put back on.
The last two days she's really been getting back to eating like normal and drinking. Today though, she has been straining when trying to poop. Her poo has been relatively normal but she hasn't been going a lot. It was going from normal to small pieces. Now, today, it's all just little small pieces. It seems like she's constipated or has something else blocking it. It hasn't prolapsed yet but I'm worried it's going to again with how much she's been straining.
I've been giving her calcium, nutridrench in her water, and an antibiotic just in case there's any egg inside from the weird one she passed.
She's been doing so much better besides a little bit of lethargy. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20240117_161521.jpg
    20240117_161521.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 5
I've been giving her calcium, nutridrench in her water, and an antibiotic just in case there's any egg inside from the weird one she passed.

She laid a weird egg, I'll post a picture so you can see. Curious if anyone knows what would cause an egg to look like this.

The Calcium may be helpful in helping her push out whatever material is in there, she may have lash egg or another egg on the way.

Poor girl, it looks like she may be trying to push out some material, whether it's shell, lash material or ?
Can you cut the "egg" open and see what's inside?

Looks similar to lash egg (Salpingitis) but I see some shell (hard shell?) and membrane wrapped around it too.

If she perked up for a bit and is now acting like she's trying to push more and isn't feeling well, then she's probably got more of the same type of material to expel.

Back to working on hydration. I'm not clear on how much calcium she got, but I'd give her Calcium for 3 days.
If you have poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell, direct dose her for a quick boost (1cc per 3pounds of weight).

You finished the Amoxicillin(?) when?

Back
Top Bottom