Help! Hen Prolapse!

RachaelV123

Chirping
Nov 1, 2021
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help. It's been 4 days since I noticed my bantam had a prolapse. I've done everything suggested, including soaking in Epsom salt, giving her olive oil, I currently have Rescue 911 in her water, and today I just started giving her calcium citrate. I attempted to push it back in two days ago and it didn't stay. She has since been pushing HARD, very often but not constant. And every time she does push, she makes this terrible little screaming noise. I came in this morning to do our daily Epsom salt bath and I noticed she now has an orange-ish colored string coming out, it's somewhat hard. Is this her intestines? I'll attach a picture. I have no idea what to do at this point. Can I still soak her if it is her intestines? Can I attempt to push it back in? I'm not sure what originally caused it to happen. She doesn't seem to be egg bound. It almost seemed like she was constipated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
17049914735373321380247863603551.jpg

The material looks like egg yolk to me.

IF she's not lethargic, you can give her a soaking.
Do keep the tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, etc. you don't want any exposed tissue to dry out.

The Calcium may be helpful in helping her push out whatever material is in there, she may have lash egg or another egg on the way.

The material looks like egg yolk to me.

IF she's not lethargic, you can give her a soaking.
Do keep the tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, etc. you don't want any exposed tissue to dry out.

The Calcium may be helpful in helping her push out whatever material is in there, she may have lash egg or another egg on the way.
Thank you for the reply. Whatever it was, she passed it. The only reason I don't think it's egg, is it's hard. It almost feels like cartilage. Unless that can happen. But I did soak her and cleaned her up and immediately she started eating more than she has since this started. I'm wondering if she's just badly constipated for some reason. I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing, it does seem to look like less of her is poking out compared to when I first noticed it. I've been putting preparation h on it after I've soaked her and sprayed it with antibacterial spray. I can't remember what it's called, something with a v. Anyway, thank you again.

Oh, it's good that she was able to push whatever that was. Do you still have it? I'd like to see what it was. Could have been a hardened piece of poop or something, you never know.

If you feel she's constipated. Work on keeping her hydrated. You can give her coconut oil twice a day to see if that helps with the constipation too. About 1tsp twice daily. I just put the oil in the fridge so it hardens up and can be broken into bite size pieces. My hens love coconut oil (the taste) so yours may just eat the small pieces without you having to place them in her beak.

I think I did save it so I'll update with a pic in a bit. I've given her a little olive oil, but if coconut helps more, I think I do have some so I can try that.
Would you recommend anything different for the inflammation around her vent, or does the preparation h work fine? I notice it seems to be helping at least a little, but if there's something that works better,I'm willing to try it. I've seen sugar recommended but I don't know if I'm supposed to put sugar directly on it,or sugar water.
Anyway, I wanted to say thank you again. This is so stressful. And while I love them all, she is my sweet baby. I've had her the longest out of all my ladies.

Here is what I pulled out of her yesterday. It has a hard but almost rubbery consistency. I'm now thinking she had an egg break inside because it now looks like she has yolk coming out. If this is the case, is there anything I can do or is this basically fatal? I'll include a pic of how it looks today as well. I do have some antibiotics if that will help with the potential egg breakage. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
20240112_105447.jpg

It may be part of a shell membrane.

Do you have photos of what the vent looks like now?

I'd continue with getting the extra Calcium into her daily.

If you suspect she did have an egg break, then yes, I'd start her on an antibiotic. What do you have on hand? Something like Amoxicillin or Baytril would be good if you have one of those.

Prep H is fine to put on there, some use organic honey, oil, etc. The goal is to keep the tissue moist.
I've never used sugar but some have, you'll have to research how to use it, but I believe you put sugar on the tissue to help shrink it, but you still want to apply some type of ointment/oil to keep tissue moist.

It may be part of a shell membrane.

Do you have photos of what the vent looks like now?

I'd continue with getting the extra Calcium into her daily.

If you suspect she did have an egg break, then yes, I'd start her on an antibiotic. What do you have on hand? Something like Amoxicillin or Baytril would be good if you have one of those.

Prep H is fine to put on there, some use organic honey, oil, etc. The goal is to keep the tissue moist.
I've never used sugar but some have, you'll have to research how to use it, but I believe you put sugar on the tissue to help shrink it, but you still want to apply some type of ointment/oil to keep tissue moist.
I just came to check on her and this is currently what she looks like. I have a feeling it is egg yolk that's coming out. It just looks a lot like the same stuff in the previous pick just not hard.
She's definitely not doing great right now. She's losing weight because she can't eat a lot. Is there something I can give her that could help get her weight back up at least a little if I can't get her to eat?
20240112_164755.jpg
I'm going to clean her up again and put more ointment on. I'm going to give her some antibiotics as well. I know I have one that needs to be kept in the fridge, I believe it's penicillin. And I also have a pill, I think.
Just hate seeing her suffer.

Do you think giving her some Meloxicam would be a good idea? Just to help with pain and maybe help with some of the inflammation?

Some do give Meloxicam but I've never given it, do some research to see if it would be appropriate.

Poor girl, it looks like she may be trying to push out some material, whether it's shell, lash material or ?

I'd give her normal feed, wet or dry if she will eat it. Sometimes they don't want their feed, so try giving bits of egg, fish (sardines/mackerel), a bit of canned cat food, etc. You never know what might interest them.

Back
Top Bottom