HELP! Prolaspe vent with an egg?

cboriskin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
I tried to follow directions regarding how to deal with a prolaspe vent. I separated her from the flock and went out and got Preparation H. I was able to clean it, but couldn't push it back into her. If feels like an egg is in it. How hard should I be pushing ? Is it an egg?

It could be. You should put her in a dark place for several days to try to stop the laying cycle. Keep applying the Prep H or use honey on it. You need to keep it moist so it will return to its proper position. Don't fiddle too much with her, though. You don't want that egg to break inside. You will have a world of problems if that happens.

Thanks. Last night, I put olive oil on it and preparation H around the vent as best as I could. Should I keep using warm water to clean and keep reapplying the oil and Prep H? I took away the food and left water for her. I will feed her at minimal.

I dont know about chickens but when I was watching the show "The Incredible Dr. Pol" he washed the prolapse in cold water to help it shrink down before he put it back in. Dont know if this would help or even work on chickens but you gotta figure its the same concept. Good Luck

Ok, just went out. She is still in good spirits. The egg is the largest she's layed, but it just hangs in a sack like thing on her rear end. I tried to manipulate it to find the opening, but there is no way to get that egg out. I reapplied the olive oil and Preparation H.

There was a case of this recently a few months back. I don't recall what happened after the OP cut the egg out. You can do a search through the archives to find the post.

I saw that post. I don't know the outcome, but I am thinking that is going to be my last ditch effort.

I have been looking for that post for a while. I can't use the new BYC search feature worth a darn, unfortunately. I found several other posts that indicate this has happened several times over the last 4 years. The consensus was that using a sterile blade to cut a large enough opening in the membrane to release the egg was the way to go. No antibiotics were generally used after and the hens went on to lay for the remainder of their long lives. I am somewhat skeptical, but it was the same story each time and I found 3 posts relating to your issue.

Do your own research, but do it fast. This issue cannot be left indefinitely. The longer that prolapse stays out the greater the risk of infection.

Good luck.

Thanks, my friend is helping me tomorrow. I read you have to suture it pretty fast because the vent wants to go back in. Not sure how we are going to do that.

Back
Top Bottom