HELP! Prolaspe vent with an egg?

Lucy wanted so much to be with her friends. So, after two days of letting her free range with the others, I let her sleep with them tonight. I checked on her and she is roosting with her buddies. Tomorrow I will put her in the dark during the day so she won't start laying again. She is so much happier. Oh, and BTW, she pooped!
thumbsup.gif

yay! Great news! I was never more interested in poop than when my daughter was in diapers. I wouldn't worry about the feathers growing back, although you will not have to wait for a molt for this to happen. I still think, and have read, that prolapse can be because of lack of calcium, or an overweight chicken may also prolapse. She may not have access to what she needs, so maybe think about a couple of places in the coop for them to get oyster shells.

We were very careful about returning Allison to a coop with complete day light, because we did it before and she prolapsed again. So we had her in reduced daylight for a month after she healed. There is healing going on inside that you can't see. And I do think we rushed to get her out the first time. If you can, keep her in as long as you are able. We actually ended up building a second coop for her and some other special needs chickens. Now she is happily laying almost an egg a day!

edited to add: we increased her daylight access gradually before putting her out all day.

Last edited:
Thank you. Lucy is looking good. She is pooping, but the poop seems very dark and dry. I hope she is drinking enough water. Her feathers are looking more normal, but due to the cut, they are short.
I will put another source of oyster shells in the coop.Right now it is just outside in the run.

Thanks for all your help :)

Update on Lucy: I think she is laying again! I think she has given me 2 eggs in the last 3 days. Hopefully she is fully recovered.

Back
Top Bottom