HELP! Pullet ALMOST drowned- WHAT DO I DO?

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif

JJ

SHe is still shaking.....(all dry and under the heat lamp now)
she is very quiet.......I just wait?

for now and keep checking in. If there's anymore you can do someone will post it. Have you tried feeding her anything? Some warm mash? Maybe that would help her warm up from the inside. Is she still coughing?

Quote:
Um.....no I haven't.....I can try to offer her something....
as for the coughing.....she is....um......"looks like- hiccuping?"

Quote:
Um....dry....warm.....looks at me, when i hold her or pet her.....
but still not right.....she doesn't want to walk around

Mrs. Glassman :

I hope she gets better too!
fl.gif

Bless her little heart. Maybe you can give her somekind of antibiotic once she begins to eat & drink to keep the chance of infection in the lungs down.

She is in my kitchen......warming under the heatlamp.....
she responds when I go to her........
she is a 2 month old white cochin.....I love her even though I haven't had her long!

I am staying by her all night.​

Is she showing any signs of respiratory distress at all?

By the way, don't get her too warm... the blow dryer should be barely warm especially if there's a heat lamp involved.

Because it was a stressful moment, you might want to keep her up (with a buddy perhaps) where you can keep an eye on her for a day. It's a good thing she didn't drown, honestly - I'm very glad you caught her.

You might go by the feedstore tomorrow and stock on a couple of staples just in case. That would include a broad spectrum antibiotic, and also Probios or another live bacteria probiotic (unless you choose to buy acidophilus tablets/capsules from the grocer/pharmacy - because likely you won't be able to use yogurt with m ost feedstore antibiotics). On the antibiotic, do not give it until you see respiratory symptoms. That can include upper respiratory (open mouth breathing) OR lower respiratory (tail bobbing). Watch both ends.

Incidentally, chickens do have lungs - just they don't depend solely or even mostly on them like people. They have a combination of lungs AND airsacs upon which they depend for breathing and gas exchange. It is possible for birds to get infections in their lungs and lower respiratory system. Treatment for them, by the layman, requires systemic antibiotics as nebulization (misting) treatment isn't possible by layment for LRS infections.

In the mean time, feed her up well. If you have beta carotene vitamins at home, they would be helpful as they provide vitamin A (great for respiratory problems) with a large margin of safety against overdosing.

Let us know if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom