Help! Pure bred aruacana? Australian

K1MM11

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
Hi i bough 6 "pure bred" Aruacana chicks a few months ago and I have been doubting the authenticity of the seller this past month. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? All but one turned out to be roos, and the one pullet I'm confedent is a lavender aruacana (pic 1). One of the boys (pic 2) looks like a blue aruacana but the other three (pic 3, 4, 5) seem to have splashes of white and brown on their Wings/shoulders that I didnt think we're true to the breed. Many also lack the facial fluff. Being a first timer with aruacanas I thought I'd ask here!

Note: these are Australian aruacanas so the tail is normal 😂

Attachments

• 20210121_145119.jpg
    20210121_145119.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210121_150018.jpg
    20210121_150018.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210121_150012.jpg
    20210121_150012.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210121_145106.jpg
    20210121_145106.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210121_145058.jpg
    20210121_145058.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 22
I live in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs and I purchased them locally through gumtree. The person I bought them from has been selling various chicken breeds for over 20 years and gave me heaps of helpful info on them (when I purchased them as day olds I was worried about housing them with week olds as they were so tiny). One of the chicks grew abnormally and experienced a failure to thrive then suddenly died (about 5 weeks old) and another is also not quite right, and walks as if he can't balance on one leg. Wierd.

I live in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs and I purchased them locally through gumtree. The person I bought them from has been selling various chicken breeds for over 20 years and gave me heaps of helpful info on them (when I purchased them as day olds I was worried about housing them with week olds as they were so tiny). One of the chicks grew abnormally and experienced a failure to thrive then suddenly died (about 5 weeks old) and another is also not quite right, and walks as if he can't balance on one leg. Wierd.
Very weird, Sorry for your losses!

They could be purebred araucana, just mixed colours (parents were different colours). It depends on their breeding as to how much crest and facial feathers they have, so they could just be poorly bred ones.

We have araucana from two different sources (I'm in NZ, just across the ditch:frow) and the ones from one place have much smaller crests. One girl lacks a crest altogether. The other ones are from a breeder who shows his birds and they have much larger crests (verging on too much).

They could be purebred araucana, just mixed colours (parents were different colours). It depends on their breeding as to how much crest and facial feathers they have, so they could just be poorly bred ones.

We have araucana from two different sources (I'm in NZ, just across the ditch:frow) and the ones from one place have much smaller crests. One girl lacks a crest altogether. The other ones are from a breeder who shows his birds and they have much larger crests (verging on too much).

Thanks for that. I do believe there were a mix of colours in the parentage. I guess the purity of fetching on online aruacana pics confused me. I also have an aruacana x maran that has heaps of facial feathering going on. Maybe I'll cross them for lighter olive eggs...

Attachments

• 20210120_101607.jpg
    20210120_101607.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201205_164549.jpg
    20201205_164549.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for that. I do believe there were a mix of colours in the parentage. I guess the purity of fetching on online aruacana pics confused me. I also have an aruacana x maran that has heaps of facial feathering going on. Maybe I'll cross them for lighter olive eggs...

What a cutie! 🥰 I actually like our girl without a topknot the best as it makes her beard look even cuter, plus she's less flighty because she can see well. The others are all a bit scatty.

Hi i bough 6 "pure bred" Aruacana chicks a few months ago and I have been doubting the authenticity of the seller this past month. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? All but one turned out to be roos, and the one pullet I'm confedent is a lavender aruacana (pic 1). One of the boys (pic 2) looks like a blue aruacana but the other three (pic 3, 4, 5) seem to have splashes of white and brown on their Wings/shoulders that I didnt think we're true to the breed. Many also lack the facial fluff. Being a first timer with aruacanas I thought I'd ask here!

Note: these are Australian aruacanas so the tail is normal 😂

I agree that they could be mixed color and low quality araucanas. Though it almost looks like you have a couple ameraucanas.

whatever breed, that's one adorable chicken

Back
Top Bottom