Help! Quail acting strange

Quailnewbiee

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
My quail is turning head to side and going in circles, falling over, and just not acting correctly. Any and all help appreciated. I’m not sure what’s wrong with her. No blood or injuries I could notice. She does seem like she lost weight, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• C56BD9E9-706E-4259-9079-17C7A697D37A.jpeg
    C56BD9E9-706E-4259-9079-17C7A697D37A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • 55A14827-E104-4EB5-B936-E1559B4AFA35.jpeg
    55A14827-E104-4EB5-B936-E1559B4AFA35.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I'm not a quail person but it looks like wry neck. For chickens of all ages/sizes, which you give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, you get this at the grocery store. You can also use poly-vi-sol without iron and nutridrench.
Though, from what I gather, it may not be as effective with quail. What is their diet?

I'm not a quail person but it looks like wry neck. For chickens of all ages/sizes, which you give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, you get this at the grocery store. You can also use poly-vi-sol without iron and nutridrench.
Though, from what I gather, it may not be as effective with quail. What is their diet?
Thanks so much, I googled this and it looks exactly like it. I have her separated and was hand feeding egg yolk, but it’s a very long slow process hand feeding. I also gave her some vitamin E. I must go get vitamin B now too. I’m feeding game Turkey feed, I have never had issues with that food. I did however add some quails I kept in my garage over the winter back to the outside flock. It was months ago. But maybe 2-3 weeks ago I went from two feeders back to one. I’m wondering if there may be some bullying where this bird isn’t getting food. I added vitamin E to their water just incase I know it’s not water soluble and might not even help, but I figured it’s worth a try. I’m wondering if I should supplement other things too. More greens, watermelon etc.

Hi! Thanks, she is trying to eat. Poop was white, I haven’t seen much of it yet. I just noticed this so I’m not sure yet, about eating drinking etc. I am trying to hand feed her egg yolk, and just started vitamin E. It seems to look like wry neck as another person commented. I’m feeding her Turkey game feed, thats what I’ve been feeding them for past year. Maybe we are missing vitamins. I also know as I stated in other reply that I recently added quail I had separated for winter back to the flock a couple months ago. I just went from 2 feeders to one. I’m wondering if there is bullying? I will add back second feeder. There is only 8 quail now all together and only one male. I have two cages, one is only 1 feet tall at most, the other is apx 5 feet tall. Thanks for responding!

The vitamin treatment may work for chickens, but I have not seen it work for quail. It sounds more like injury than wry neck to me, but I'm not a vet, so take my diagnosis with a big grain of salt.

If it is injury, she will hopefully improve within a few days. If it doesn't, you may want to consult a vet or see how she does with more time.

If it is wry neck, there may not much that you can do for her, but quail with wry neck can live mostly normal lives.

I don't think it is wry neck but a nutritional issue, more specifically a vitamin & mineral issue. I've raised thousands of quail and I have never seen one with wry neck...doesn't mean it's not possible but it isn't very likely. I seen it in pheasants and chickens and in other poultry. All the recommended 'treatments', I have tried, failed!

Usually
, you will see wry neck in chicks not adult birds but it could happen if not getting enough vitamins & minerals in their feed. And as @Nabiki , has stated, "could be an injury!"
Give it some time and see what happens, it's not going to hurt anything by giving it Vit E or Poly-vi-sol.

Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately she died throughout the night. She was looking so good and was drinking on her own. In the morning she was covered in water and dead. Not sure if she drowned or if she may have froze to death or died from whatever was originally wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom