Help!! Quail sneezing and not moving.

Quail Kingdom

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
Hello again,
My quail has come from a difficult situation and has eye issues and a possible respiratory illness. What concerns me most is the fact that she is sneezing so much! I have no idea how to help her and she needs help moving around. I have not separated her from the flock as her friends help her find shelter and food. Her eyes are black and scabbed up and they keep watering. She is so precious to her family and I would hate for her to pass away. Here is some backstory If it helps...

She lives with 3 other females and 2 males. I know this isn’t recommended but they are all great friends and never fight or pick on each other. She is a rescue from someone who couldn’t look after them anymore and was fed wheat seeds and layer pellets. She is now on mash and pellets.

Please help!
Thank you,
Quail Kingdom

Hello again,
My quail has come from a difficult situation and has eye issues and a possible respiratory illness. What concerns me most is the fact that she is sneezing so much! I have no idea how to help her and she needs help moving around. I have not separated her from the flock as her friends help her find shelter and food. Her eyes are black and scabbed up and they keep watering. She is so precious to her family and I would hate for her to pass away. Here is some backstory If it helps...

She lives with 3 other females and 2 males. I know this isn’t recommended but they are all great friends and never fight or pick on each other. She is a rescue from someone who couldn’t look after them anymore and was fed wheat seeds and layer pellets. She is now on mash and pellets.

Please help!
Thank you,
Quail Kingdom
@007Sean lots of exp with illnesses who else @Nabiki @muddy75 I 🤔 I tried

Are these Coturnix or Bobwhites? Can you post pics of the bird and her enclosure?

Definitely has a respiratory infection/disease....just what/ which infection I would not be able to tell you by your description but it sounds like it's quail bronchitis which is primarily a Bobwhite disease but it is being seen more and more in Coturnix quail. You say it has 'scabs' on it's eyes?...need pics of that. Does it have a bad odor to it's breath? Does it have watery feces?

A vet visit is in order, or if it expires, send it to your state lab for a necropsy.

Respiratory diseases are very contagious in most cases. You should separate the infected bird from the others, immediately!

Get her separated from the others ASAP! You do not want her passing this on to the others. Keep her warm.

Is she eating and drinking?
What does her poop look like?
Has she had any exposure to wild birds?
How long have you had her?
Do you have pics?
She is eating and drinking her poop looks completely normal, no exposure to wild birds and I have had her for around a month. I will try to get pictures. I will seperate her.

Get her separated from the others ASAP! You do not want her passing this on to the others. Keep her warm.

Is she eating and drinking?
What does her poop look like?
Has she had any exposure to wild birds?
How long have you had her?
Do you have pics?
From what I know she has lived with the others for another month or so in her old home and none of them seem sick. She did seem a bit better when I went to check on her. She has started moving around more and dust bathing. She still has a watery eye and is sneezing.

Are these Coturnix or Bobwhites? Can you post pics of the bird and her enclosure?

Definitely has a respiratory infection/disease....just what/ which infection I would not be able to tell you by your description but it sounds like it's quail bronchitis which is primarily a Bobwhite disease but it is being seen more and more in Coturnix quail. You say it has 'scabs' on it's eyes?...need pics of that. Does it have a bad odor to it's breath? Does it have watery feces?

A vet visit is in order, or if it expires, send it to your state lab for a necropsy.

Respiratory diseases are very contagious in most cases. You should separate the infected bird from the others, immediately!
I was not told the breed but I believe that she is a Japanese jumbo or coturnix . She has no bad breath. I will try to get her to a vet. Thanks for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom