HELP! Quails dying 4-6 weeks old ?

No, I double checked yesterday and today, there's no holes anywhere. The aviary has an underground structure all around.
That quail is the one we call "the crazy one" as she always get scared when we enter the aviary. She tends to run into things. Do you think the eye is something else or linked to that? It is on the same side as her injury
It might be. If she can't see quite as well on that side, she might have run into something. I would still check for signs of rats. Droppings in the area, gnaw marks, etc.

No, I double checked yesterday and today, there's no holes anywhere. The aviary has an underground structure all around.
That quail is the one we call "the crazy one" as she always get scared when we enter the aviary. She tends to run into things. Do you think the eye is something else or linked to that? It is on the same side as her injury
You have chicken wire wrapped around your aviary.
Rats and or mice can fit through those holes.
It is not predator proof.

Have you checked the types of plants in the aviary?.. some may be toxic.. I agree with the others nutrition would be my first guess.. but check the plants too, just in case
Thanks, good point, I'll double check for the plants. I selected them because they were recommended on a french book about quails. They recommended both the plants and the size of the holes of the aviary's wire.
I doubt so about the chemicals but it is true my aviary is extremely close to my neighbor's house. However, as they have cats so I don't think they'd spray anything toxic in their yard
You have chicken wire wrapped around your aviary.
Rats and or mice can fit through those holes.
It is not predator proof.

They can definitely chew their way through in which case I'd notice, but there's no way a rat fits a 13mm/ ~0.5inch hole. A tiny mice maybe. That'd be the only potential predators along with cats, our house is in a center city, in a fully gated small garden.
IMG_2548.JPG

The neck injury healed nicely, but her nicitating membrane is still out 1/4th out

Update in case someone encounters the same issue and look it up as I did for my quails:

- Neck wound healed nicely and did not occured

- I found another vet that knew well about quails, his assistant is also a breeder.
They all had a respiratory infection. They had amoxicillin but developed a resistance to it. Now they are being treated with another antibiotic called " pneumobiotique". After just a few days their eyes got back to normal with that antibiotic. They are more active too so I am quite optimistic.

- Came out they also had roundworms although they've been treated last month. They must have been very badly infected when I got them.

- The vet treated them with a spot-on for parasites and mites. Considering how they act after he applied it, he thinks they also had an issue with that

Update in case someone encounters the same issue and look it up as I did for my quails:

- Neck wound healed nicely and did not occured

- I found another vet that knew well about quails, his assistant is also a breeder.
They all had a respiratory infection. They had amoxicillin but developed a resistance to it. Now they are being treated with another antibiotic called " pneumobiotique". After just a few days their eyes got back to normal with that antibiotic. They are more active too so I am quite optimistic.

- Came out they also had roundworms although they've been treated last month. They must have been very badly infected when I got them.

- The vet treated them with a spot-on for parasites and mites. Considering how they act after he applied it, he thinks they also had an issue with that
Thanks for the update. It sounds like their breeder wasn't taking very good care of them. Glad that they seem to be on the mend.

Never ever buy birds that already look sick or unhealthy in any way, especially if the place where you're getting them looks dirty. I'm sorry you had to experience this but glad you found a vet that could help.

Back
Top Bottom