HELP! Quails dying 4-6 weeks old ?

Laehui

Chirping
Jul 24, 2023
France
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I am concerned and discouraged, I got my first 7 quails about 1 month ago. They were 3 weeks old. 1 week later, the very first one died after being weak, falling over and not eating much. She had fluffed up feathers and was super thin, she was looking a bit sick already the day I picked her up. I thought she had a failure to thrive, but also suspected Coccidiosis as the breeder's enclosure didn't look too clean.

The second one died unexpectedly over night 2 days after, she was looking healthy so far, eating well etc. but a bit tired and cold the previous day. She was 4 weeks old.

Then I took the third one to the vet as she was starting to exhibit the same symptoms ( weakness, tired, a bit messy and fluffed up feathers). I gave her vitamins and egg yolk. I treated all of my flock for coccidiosis and dewormed them as the vet recommended. Still, the 3rd one died as well..

The 4th one lived 2 more weeks but she wasn't growing at all. She was eating but always looked fluffed up too. I thought she'd made it as she survived 2 more weeks than others and started looking very active. She also had a pretty suddent death: one day she wasn't feeling good, at evening her 3rd eyelid was half out, it was super strange. The day after she died :(
This was exactly one week ago.

Now, I only have 3 quails left... :hit

And that one on the photos has the red swollen eyelid. She's the strongest one, the one that grew the fastest and my heaviest as well by far.
I have another one looks sleepy at times, not sure if it is normal, and my very last one has a weird neck ( I posted on another thread about it, it looks swollen but it feels like that's just the shape of her neck)

I just don't know what to do, the vet I've seen is the only vet that does farm animals here and she wasn't knowledgable about quails at all.. The breeder says his flock is fine.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
What are you feeding them (type and % protein), and are you offering food free choice?
They are eating a mix of organic seeds, not sure of all the names in english but I know there's millet, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, wheat etc. along with worms ( flour worms?). They are get fresh sprouts, lettuce and other fresh things from the garden. There's no brand or protein percentage, we don't have those premade packs here, I pretty much looked up the composition of the recommended brands abroad and made it too. They also get some complements like calcium etc

What are you feeding them?
What is their habitat like?
How much space do they have?

They are in a 5m2 covered aviary for only 3 quails now. They are protected from the rain and the wind.
IMG_9926.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

Also, one of them looked already sick the day I picked her up. She was the first one dying..

Last edited:
They are eating a mix of organic seeds, not sure of all the names in english but I know there's millet, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, wheat etc. along with worms ( flour worms?). They are get fresh sprouts, lettuce and other fresh things from the garden.
And do you know the nutritional value of this feed? Higher protein layer feed or even gamebird starter is probably a safer bet for your birds' health. This seems to me like a case of malnutrition.

And do you know the nutritional value of this feed? Higher protein layer feed or even gamebird starter is probably a safer bet for your birds' health. This seems to me like a case of malnutrition.
No, because it isn't premade, in France we can buy directly all the seeds we want, it's like a self service and you pay by weight. Maybe I'm missing something important? I felt like I made sure I had a bit of everything needed. What do you recommend adding to their diet? When I first got them, they indeed were severly underweight but now the ones that made it feel fine, they aren't thin anymore

No, because it isn't premade, in France we can buy directly all the seeds we want, it's like a self service and you pay by weight. Maybe I'm missing something important? I felt like I made sure I had a bit of everything needed. What do you recommend adding to their diet? When I first got them, they indeed were severly underweight but now the ones that made it feel fine, they aren't thin anymore
Can you buy premade poultry crumbled feed there?

Chicken or turkey feeds?

Hello,

I am concerned and discouraged, I got my first 7 quails about 1 month ago. They were 3 weeks old. 1 week later, the very first one died after being weak, falling over and not eating much. She had fluffed up feathers and was super thin, she was looking a bit sick already the day I picked her up. I thought she had a failure to thrive, but also suspected Coccidiosis as the breeder's enclosure didn't look too clean.

The second one died unexpectedly over night 2 days after, she was looking healthy so far, eating well etc. but a bit tired and cold the previous day. She was 4 weeks old.

Then I took the third one to the vet as she was starting to exhibit the same symptoms ( weakness, tired, a bit messy and fluffed up feathers). I gave her vitamins and egg yolk. I treated all of my flock for coccidiosis and dewormed them as the vet recommended. Still, the 3rd one died as well..

The 4th one lived 2 more weeks but she wasn't growing at all. She was eating but always looked fluffed up too. I thought she'd made it as she survived 2 more weeks than others and started looking very active. She also had a pretty suddent death: one day she wasn't feeling good, at evening her 3rd eyelid was half out, it was super strange. The day after she died :(

And that one on the photos has the red swollen eyelid. She's the strongest one, the one that grew the fastest and my heaviest as well by far.
I have another one looks sleepy at times, not sure if it is normal, and my very last one has a weird neck ( I posted on another thread about it, it looks swollen but it feels like that's just the shape of her neck)

I just don't know what to do, the vet I've seen is the only vet that does farm animals here and she wasn't knowledgable about quails at all.. The breeder says his flock is fine.

Thanks
Look at the eye closely...are those stick tight fleas on the eye or scabs?

Hello,

Thanks
What did the vet give to treat the coccidiosis?

Can you buy premade poultry crumbled feed there?

Chicken or turkey feeds?
Yes we have for chickens, not for quails. I can buy for chickens but the seeds are too big for them. They aren't Jumbo quails
Look at the eye closely...are those stick tight fleas on the eye or scabs?
I have no idea, I thought it was scabs earlier as I didn't know those fleas existed!! I am going to check it out tomorrow morning. How can they catch that? And if it is, how do I remove them?
The aviary was build on the same spot as the chicken's coop of the previous house owner. Could those have survived on the floor for several months??

Back
Top Bottom